Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
can or would u Email me a copy of that Pic and what ever else you may have to go with it? Thanx

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turbo Six = Gas Mileage and Power

Boy this idea is sure looking good, especially for a car you want to drive a lot, like me.
Turbo Chargers are known to add 15% better mileage (providing you can keep your happy foot out of it) and imagine the power to weight ratio?

What companies out there have a ready to go unit? :cool:

James

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love turbo charged engines. I have owned 6 turbo Buick Regals. I was involved with the '86/'87 Buick Grand Nationals and T Typs for the time they were new. I have a few in line Chevy's tucked away for a future turbo project. It is not a very difficult project. There is tons of info. on line regarding in line six turbo charging.

·
Registered
380 Posts
LT1 CT said:
I love turbo charged engines. I have owned 6 turbo Buick Regals. I was involved with the '86/'87 Buick Grand Nationals and T Typs for the time they were new. I have a few in line Chevy's tucked away for a future turbo project. It is not a very difficult project. There is tons of info. on line regarding in line six turbo charging.

cool could you post a couple of links please?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please POst Turbo Six articles...pleeeeease!

Yes please post "Turbo Six" articles. Don't turbo's like stock cams? Don't turbos like low compression. therefore wouldn't a turbo like a relatively stock engine!
Wouldn't a turbo six go great with an automatic?

Wouldn't Turbo Six = V8 power easily?

See...I have a ton of questions. This will be fun. :) :chev:

James

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yes the Turbo Likes closer to stock style cams and Pretty much Like a baby blue (NOS) running a 112-114 lobe seperation and NOT a Long/Big duration cam so you have to watch the duration. The lift is not a big of a issue as duration and Lobe seperation. and Like any motor the Lower the compression is, the Higher Boost/PSi you can run. Also you have to watch over all timing. so some kinda of timing control is good to have. with the more boost/psi that you want to use.

walking have a good day

·
Registered
566 Posts
I wish i'd have held off on the LT1 and gotten one of the late model trailblazer/envoy 6 bangers to put a turbo on.. My bro got one the new trailblazers off the lot, i just wanted to check out the motor.. with some wrecking yard calling, some custom pistons, a turbo and alot of aspirin it could be sweet... I'd just love to leave the 6 Cyl badges on and run over a few v8's with it.. :D Concept trailblazer Another link

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im in the process of collecting parts to do a twin turbo set up on a 327 for my 65. There is a lot of info on the web. just do a serch for turbo nova and/or junkyard turbos. You will get a ton of info. the best book is MAXIMUM BOOST by Corky Bell.
This will take some time to do, because i need to get the car running first. pulled it out of the desert and it's been sitting for 20+ years.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Anybody know of any junkyard donor cars. From what I know about turbos it is generally best to get one of a similarly sized (breathing) engine. So first calc puts a 194 in the 3.1L range.

I can see that the buick turbo is for a 3.1L motor (garret t-25) but im guessing these aren't easy to find.

From what I can tell common turbos would be the chrysler 2.2 liter, maybe some volkswagen ones as well

I would also say that to be on cheap and safe side to plan on running a low amount of boost maybe 5-6psi (no clue what kind of power gains you would see)

Anybody know what to grab from a junkyard car. Seems like you would need the turbo, a wastegate, and maybe some oil lines. Then it seems like a simple matter of re-tubing the exhuast get a manual boost controller (maybe) and connect the turbo to the carb via a sealed inlet.

arndog

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Need to find a turbo specialty shop

This is an old science and the I6 is an old engine and easy to adapt to this. I will defienelty do some major research and phone calls on this. I'll bet it is going to be easier than I thought to suit up a Six with turbo. A LOT EASIER than to do the same with a V8.

Later

JK

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
it WILL be easier and cheaper to do with a six compared to doing on an 8, but i bet i have tons more power with my built 383....i am not saying don't do it, i think its an awesome idea. Don't think its going to be as easy as you think it is though ;) , there are a lot of things to take into consideration....you will need boost controllers and timing retarders and if you run more than 7 or so psi, i think you should have an intercooler, what carb (if carbed), then you need a blowthrough box, etc etc...

also some cheap turbos would be the t3/t4 and mitsu t04e or something similar to that....just for example, this is an old ad, took one second of searching on the honda site below...do not reply to the ad
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=905145 ....just to show what you can get for a couple bucks....
look at import sites for cheap turbos....but you need to figure out your final goal, how much boost, max rpm, useage, you need to make/find a manifold, downpipe, wastegate, you need gauges, a million dollars, you need to build it then trade for my nova ;) :D

www.hondamarketplace.com

·
Registered
730 Posts
For me personally the goal would be to keep it simple. Choose a boost range that gives some sort of power increase (any would do) but minimizes complex options. The idea would be to keep the costs low as possible in order to rationalize the cost staying with a 6 cylinder versus going to a V-8.

Id be up for remote mounting it in order to minimize complexity.

anybody have boost figures for what a turbo would gain you. Meaning say I have a stock tired 194 I put 5 psi of boost on it ... what is the horsepower gain?

I would think 25 horsepower would be an excellent power gain especially if it is at the cost of less then 200 bucks.

arndog

·
Registered
267 Posts
In this months hot rod mag they have the fastest pump gas drags, there is a car in there, I think an early nova, with a turbo 6 with the basic motor out of a newer trailblazer that I think ran 9's. Very quick, I was impressed. Made me think I should be getting one.

Jon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Turbo in a I6 would be a great sleeper

After reading this:http://www.ststurbo.com/products
I6 novas were the first cars that came into my mind. The cars has plenty of space if you want it up front and if you want it in the back the original exhaust setup would work great also. I like the idea of not needing an intercooler.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts