Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what kind of wiring changes have to be made if i install a single wire alternator in my 67 nova. Any changes to voltage regulator or any other component? What about the wires to the old alternator?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
All you will use is your charging wire. You can leave everything else in place, but it will not be used. Make sure you charging wire is big enough for the new altenator. You may need to add and 8 gauge wire.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
All you will use is your charging wire. You can leave everything else in place, but it will not be used. Make sure you charging wire is big enough for the new altenator. You may need to add and 8 gauge wire.
The dash ALT/GEN light will glow like a beacon in the night continuously unless you do something with the old regulator wiring though.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
The dash ALT/GEN light will glow like a beacon in the night continuously unless you do something with the old regulator wiring though.
If it is an internally regulated alt, then the light will not function. If it is an externally regulated alt, unplug the voltage regulator or remove the bulb.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
If it is an internally regulated alt, then the light will not function. If it is an externally regulated alt, unplug the voltage regulator or remove the bulb.
Is there such a thing as an externally regulated single wire alternator? :turn::confused:

You're right in that there's no way to get the dash light to function on an internally regulated one-wire alt.

I'm not a big fan of the 1-wire setup, can you tell? :D

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Is there such a thing as an externally regulated single wire alternator? :turn::confused:

You're right in that there's no way to get the dash light to function on an internally regulated one-wire alt.

I'm not a big fan of the 1-wire setup, can you tell? :D
If his car currently has a 3 wire internally regulated altenator, then the light will not work if he installs a one wire alt. If his car currently has a 3 wire externally regulated altenator, he just needs to unplug the voltage regulator or remove the altentator light so it doesn't come on.

I'm not a fan of one wire altenators either, but people do use them with success. It is nearly as easy to install a CS130 altenator with 3 wires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the good advice. Now i am wondering what the advantage is to the single wire alt. Internal or external regulator?? I'm installing a v8 in a 6 cyl nova and the car has a voltage regulator on the radiator support now. Is that what is refered to as an external regulator? If there is no advantage to the single wire alt i'd just as soon get a replacement alt that is like the one that was on the 6 cyl. Thoughts??

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
The regulator on the core support is what we are calling the external regulator. Your 6 cyl altenator will work just fine on you V8 provided you are not adding electrical accessories like an electric fan.

3 wire altenators use remote sensing of the voltage. They do a much better job of maintaining 14+ volts throughout your electrical system. If you are going to upgrade, IMO a CS130 Altenator is the only way to go. It is a modern design that works at lower speeds and is slightly smaller than your current alt. The 6 and 12 clocking patern will bolt right in and only requires minor wiring changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts