Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My combo currently uses an RPM performer intake, and works pretty good. Ive also got a Team G intake on my bench. My question is, at what point is a single plane beneficial? My junk is an 11:1 iron headed sbc with a 233/241 duration cam that builds power to 6800ish rpm. I run a 3500 stall converter and its mostly a budget build street driven toy that sees 50/50 track/street. Im more after better ets that street driveability. Should I see any benefit in the top end vs my rpm performer? I shift at 6500-6800 range, so its kind of in the middle of a single plane and dual plane range. My times are 1.7 60' with an et of 12.40 @ 109

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I say go for it. What do you have to lose? Both my friend and I ran victor jr's on our 355's. They were a little more radical but not by much. A set of intake gaskets and a day and you will have your answer. We also both ran 1" open spacers on them too. My Nova has a performer RPM, not by choice it was on it when I bought the car and reused it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did go ahead and bolt it on, along with a new open spacer, and grabbed a 4 hole spacer as well to experiment with. I guess we will see what happens. I was hoping for some real world results where everyone told me how great of an idea it is and how awesome its gonna work :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I'd guess with that converter you will loose a bit on the 60' and gain it back by the finish with maybe .5 mph improvement and the same overall E.T.
JMO

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I tried that switch last year and it didn't work out for me. I also shift at 6800 and currently have an air gap with a 4 hole 1" spacer. I tried switching to a Professional Products Hurricane intake and it slowed my car by .3. But I also run a glide and at that time I had 4.10's in the rear so I needed as much help on bottom end as I could, and single planes aren't known for that. Maybe now with the 4.56's it might work differently for me. Guess you'll never know unless you try it.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I went from the Hurricane to the RPM with the same "1 open spacer and went .05 quicker but lost 1mph in the quarter.
I have that same Hurricane on my 406 with a wilson "1.5 tapered spacer.

With the "8 Treemaster converter the car is very reponsive (maybe due to lg SR cam tho :rolleyes::D) and driveable with the same heads and 3.73's.

Will be going to 4.10/30's when I get the "28 slicks.

I say do it!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Usually were hurricanes dont work is there not parts matched well people are usually in the middle of throwing parts on there car and the combination is never thought out completely ahead of time dew to money, time etc.

I decided to run the hurricane with a 1" hvh love the throttle response witch most people claim to loose down low with these intakes!

Id deffantly try it but id recommend the hvh aswell picked up throttle signal off bottom of the carb real nice!

Heres a quick video of mine give you an idea of the snappiness.
Keep us updated!
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/Fleetline48/?action=view&current=002-2.mp4

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Usually were hurricanes dont work is there not parts matched well people are usually in the middle of throwing parts on there car and the combination is never thought out completely ahead of time dew to money, time etc.

I decided to run the hurricane with a 1" hvh love the throttle response witch most people claim to loose down low with these intakes!

Id deffantly try it but id recommend the hvh aswell picked up throttle signal off bottom of the carb real nice!

Heres a quick video of mine give you an idea of the snappiness.
Keep us updated!
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/Fleetline48/?action=view&current=002-2.mp4

Now I'm depressed looking at my motor now. :(

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The TEAM G will work perfectly ,,,they have very small runners considering all single palne intakes ..The HURRICANE is a killer intake on heavily built small blocks that need RPM well past 7k ... They have huge runners compared to the TEAMG .

·
Registered
38 Posts
My combo currently uses an RPM performer intake, and works pretty good. Ive also got a Team G intake on my bench. My question is, at what point is a single plane beneficial? My junk is an 11:1 iron headed sbc with a 233/241 duration cam that builds power to 6800ish rpm. I run a 3500 stall converter and its mostly a budget build street driven toy that sees 50/50 track/street. Im more after better ets that street driveability. Should I see any benefit in the top end vs my rpm performer? I shift at 6500-6800 range, so its kind of in the middle of a single plane and dual plane range. My times are 1.7 60' with an et of 12.40 @ 109
KEEP IT THE WAY IT IS. NOT TO BE MEAN BUT YOU DONT HAVE ENOUPH MOTOR OR CAM TO REALY GET ANY USE OUT OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. REMEMBER THAT BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER..... YOU WILL GET MORE OUT OF IT PLAYING WITH YOUR TIMING AND JETTING THEN REPLACING THE MANIFOLD. :yes: ALSO YOUR STALL IS TOO BIG. RUN A TIGHTER STALL IF YOU HAVE A TRANS BRAKE IT WILL WORK BETTER

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will get out this Friday to test it. I know my combo is pretty mild, but this is a mild single plane as well, being the lowest height of them all. As for the converter, I just went to this 3500 from a 3000 and dropped 3/10 off my 60', so I dont think its too high.. This cam starts at 3000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts