Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i am using a computer controlled electric fan, with a ground trigger, can I take the positive power from the feed side to power the coil side with no ill effects .. like this

·
Registered
3 Posts
from your diagram everything looks right. if you are trying to use a negative trigger to convert to a positive output to the fan then it is corect.

85 negative trig
86 positive input
30 positive feed to pass through to 87
87 output to fan

everything should be safe... just make sure you fuse the relay

·
Registered
491 Posts
The relay is suppose to allow you to use a low amp input to switch a high input/ high amp circuit. That is a standard wiring harness 12 volt low amp input and a high amp input like battery feed to run a cooling fan, fuel pump or any high amp draw component.

The purpose of the relay is to keep from frying the standard wiring harness wiring.
The switched circuit should have a direct battery feed, fused, using a higher gauge wire. Fans as well as other components can draw 60 to 70 amp on start up.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
The switched circuit should have a direct battery feed, fused, using a higher gauge wire. Fans as well as other components can draw 60 to 70 amp on start up.[/QUOTE]

What rating should the fuses be for these?

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
If I have a fusible link on the fan power wire is a fuse needed?

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
If I have a fusible link on the fan power wire is a fuse needed?
A fuse is still a good idea. The fusible link is more of an "oh god, the world is coming to an end" solution to a short. The fusible link melts/fail to treat the short.

A fuse is easily replaceable. :yes: I'd use a fuse before I'd use a fusible link.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Fusible links are an engineer's wet dream.

The factory ONLY used them because they save money compared to a 'real' fuse and fuseholder.

You can make your own fusible link by simply taking a one inch length of wire two sizes smaller than the rated wire size and soldering it in, then insulating it. If the load goes critical, the small piece will heat up and burn in two.

I HATE those dam things! They always seem to be in STUPID places, and you can't find them when they burn open unless you know where they are to begin with.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
You could also put a high amp circuit breaker on it. Best of both worlds, but costs the most.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
How about a 30 amp fuse and no fusible link.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts