Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping my buddy put a small block in his nova.

We are hooking everything up and I have come across something I really don't know about.

On the back of the intake.(Near where the coil mounts)There is a vacuam port.It's for hooking up power brakes or whatever you need.

On the back of the carb.(It's an old edelbrock 1406 I believe)There is another plug.Is this also a vacaum source?And if it is should they be hooked togother.I always plug both off on my stuff.But he has them hooked togother.

Vacuam pulling on vacuam doesn't sound right to me.

Any help would be great.

Hopefully well get this old thing going tonight.It hasn't ran in 4-5 years!

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I am helping my buddy put a small block in his nova.

We are hooking everything up and I have come across something I really don't know about.

On the back of the intake.(Near where the coil mounts)There is a vacuam port.It's for hooking up power brakes or whatever you need.

On the back of the carb.(It's an old edelbrock 1406 I believe)There is another plug.Is this also a vacaum source?And if it is should they be hooked togother.I always plug both off on my stuff.But he has them hooked togother.

Vacuam pulling on vacuam doesn't sound right to me.

Any help would be great.

Hopefully well get this old thing going tonight.It hasn't ran in 4-5 years!
Carb shoulda come with plugs... Plug that sucker up!:D

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
You could do either, plug them or hook them together. Since both are vacuum sources and neither are exposed to the atmosphere, then they're not pulling a vacuum when hooked together, if that makes sense.

·
14,588 Posts
I would just plug both of them off if he does not need them for a vacuum source. On my cars the one on the manifold is hooked to my brake booster and I have my vacuum line from the trans hooked to the port on the carb.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I went over there and we got it running.

The first thing I had to do was redo the intake gaskets.I put the sealer on the inside of the gasket toward the head surface.The sealer needs to be on the intake manifold and seal against the outside of the gasket.I knew this but for some reason I still did it wrong.

After changing the oil and putting in Rottella T.We reinstalled everything and hit the key.Took a bit fuel down the carb and she fired right up.We ran it to 230 and shut it off.After changing the fan out for a puller we also removed the thermostat.It should have opened but it didn't and the dry intake proved it.And I did a quick hot adjustment of a few loose rockers.After that the car got now higher than 135.That was after the 15 minutes of run time for the cam break in.

I was very worried about this car running hot.It is a 400 small block chevy that bored 060 over.It's filled to the water pump holes with hardblock.We didn't build the short block.It's a cast crank with 5.7 powder metal rods and hypertec pistons.

I rebuilt the heads the best I could do in the garage and drill the steam holes.There just an set of 882's.Yeah I know they suck but it's all we have.

Car sounds good and seems to run alright.The carb is an old pos 1406.I had it sitting on the shelf in the garage after I swapped my buddy a good one for his pos.(must be nice to have buddies like me)

We have some other work to do to the car itself.But it's in good shape.Sorry no pics right now.But it's dirty as heck anyway and we where to busy to snap them.

Sorry if I am rambling but I am excited as heck!It finnally runs!I started my first nova tonight.To bad it wasn't mine.But my buddies is just as good!:D

And oh yeah we decided to plug them off.When he gets a new carb.Hopefully another edelbrock.71ss454 I understand what you are saying.Both are pulling vacuam so they cancel each other out.I still say plug em.Looks cleaner and less chance of a leak from a bad hose or connection.....

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would just plug both of them off if he does not need them for a vacuum source. On my cars the one on the manifold is hooked to my brake booster and I have my vacuum line from the trans hooked to the port on the carb.
Mine is hooked up the same way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts