Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I last year I bought a nova that has been used for drag racing and I am in the process of restoring or at least the parts that can before I put modern stuff into it. Recently I inherited an engine and tranny from a friend. he didn't know what engine and tranny it was and neither did I. I did some research and it comes out to be a Pontiac 350 and BOP Bolt pattern TH400. I know that I can have an adapter plate if I want to use the Tranny on a Chevy engine. Now the question, its probably a rookie mistake, but could I use that Pontiac 350 in the nova, or am I sol when it comes to that?

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Pontiac made a version of the Nova called Ventura so I am sure the parts are available to bolt your Pontiac motor right in.

·
Vendor
1,313 Posts
You are going to spend more time and effort getting the Pontiac motor in the car and setup properly then just getting a regular small block Chevy in it. All kinds of brackets and little things are going to be different. Ignition, cooling, fuel systems would likely have non-Chevy requirements. Ventura parts cars are scarce. Ventura-specific repop parts are basically non-existent. Not saying it can't be done, but not the road you want to go down if you are a "rookie" with this stuff.

The Pontiac motor and trans likely has some level of value. Small block Chevys are dirt cheap. Figure out exactly what the motor and trans is, then sell or trade it for a Chevy setup.

Chevy motors were available in the Ventura. After a certain point in the 70s the lower-end BOP cars had a variety of Chevy, Buick or Pontiac engines and the universal TH-375 in available in them.

·
Vendor
1,313 Posts
OH, maybe I am missing it... What years is the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vehicle is a 68 Nova apparently this engine came out of a 75 Grand Prix And the subframe is off the body and everything stripped off of it

·
Registered
34 Posts
We attempted to put an fairly built up Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 in a Nova about 30 years ago. Steering, exhaust, mounts, firewall were all going to be an issue. I'm not sure how that compares to a Pontic engine but we scraped the whole idea and put it in a 1965 Olds F85 with a Rock Crusher Muncie. Now that was a FUN car!!

Hope it works out for you but I'd be looking into a SBC or LS if it were me.

Steve

·
Registered
344 Posts
'68 Novas are very different cars than both '67 and '69. A bunch of one off stuff in '68. If the car is a 2 door and in good shape, you might want to consider restoring it.

·
Vendor
1,313 Posts
I think a good first step here, since you say you are new to this, is post an intro thread and with it multiple pictures of the car. Ones that show what it is and its current condition. That can get the community looking at it to see what you have and what path makes sense. You could have a car easy to put back to some semblance of stock. Could have something that is best left heavily modified. Could be sitting on something valuable. Never know these days.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I just wanted to say welcome to the site and best of luck with your project. You have come to the right place for great advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts