Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a need and had been thinking of this for some time. I chopped the lower mounting of a shock absorber off with the chop saw and welded it with the ol' MIG to an all thread bearing installer i had not used in years (Whirlpool tub bearing installer). The upper part fitting in the coil spring seat is a center section of a double pulley for a water pump out of some Chevy I know not what except that it fit the upper coil spring cup. I used a spacer on the threaded shaft to get a little distance above the shock tower area so I could use an open end wrench or a Crescent wrench.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
So, once the coil spring is in place, it would appear that you release the pressure from the coil, leaving the upper coil cup in place, and just unbolt the lower shock mount from the lower spring support? Then pull the threaded rod up through the shock tower? Good idea!

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I have been thinking of doing something like this myself but had not got around to trying yet. Looks good :yes:

Do you know if the threaded part of the old bearing installer is hardened steel? Looks like it might be. I have been afraid to use just standard threaded rod.

EarlyIIs

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, once the coil spring is in place, it would appear that you release the pressure from the coil, leaving the upper coil cup in place, and just unbolt the lower shock mount from the lower spring support? Then pull the threaded rod up through the shock tower? Good idea!
Yes, exactly. You understand the way to get it out is to install this in the place of the shock by tightening the nut. No injury jeopardy also.

BTW this is not my idea other than using a shock lower mount. I used the design out of the Shop Manual.

Oh by the way this type of spring compressor is able to be bought already made from at least one of the Nova suppliers. I just wanted it now and made it happen when I had the need and the stupid outside spring compressors were just giving me a real hard time.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been thinking of doing something like this myself but had not got around to trying yet. Looks good :yes:

Do you know if the threaded part of the old bearing installer is hardened steel? Looks like it might be. I have been afraid to use just standard threaded rod.

EarlyIIs
It looked not hardened when I cut it. It was a lot easier to cut than leaf spring material which is hardened. I tried for days to cut a leaf spring with a chop saw and barely made a groove. I finally cut it with the cutting torch instead.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made a spring compressor as shown in this thread. What a difference! This helped out a ton. Thanks.
brutusvk you're welcome and this is exactly why I posted this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts