Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a street rodder last night about a brake fluid that wouldn't harm paint. He suggested Silicon Brake Fluid. He said it wouldn't harm paint and would keep moisture -then rust, out of my brake lines. Sounds good, so I googled it a little today and those sites had alot of cons against it. They said it doesn't mix with water, but water is always going to be in your brakes over time and where normal fluid absorbs it, this stuff makes the water collect in the lowest place and rusts that line badly. It also said something to do with the oxygen molecules given off causes your brakes to feel alot softer than normal fluid.

What do you guys think of this stuff. I have new lines so I wouldn't have to flush. I want performance, but I don't want to have a master cylinder with half the cast paint coming off and I surely don't want to risk the paint on my fenders/inner fenders.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
it also doesn't mix well with Dot 3. If you have a dry system, then silicone is fine.

I use Dot 3, and just be careful when using it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
well dot 5 or silicone is supposed to have a high heat value but its expensive and its not hydroscopic like regular brake fluid
If high dry and wet boiling points are required, then the gylcol-based DOT 5.1 is a better choice than the silicone-based DOT 5. It is backwards compatible with the traditional DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. Personally, I'd never run the silicone stuff.

If one is looking for a fluid with good performance and a (relatively) low cost given the performance level, the DOT 4 ATE Super Blue and Typ 200 (same fluid, different colors) are good choices.

Simply being careful when checking/refilling the master cylinder and bleeding the brakes will prevent paint from peeling when using the DOT 3/4/5.1 fluids.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If high dry and wet boiling points are required, then the gylcol-based DOT 5.1 is a better choice than the silicone-based DOT 5. It is backwards compatible with the traditional DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. Personally, I'd never run the silicone stuff.

If one is looking for a fluid with good performance and a (relatively) low cost given the performance level, the DOT 4 ATE Super Blue and Typ 200 (same fluid, different colors) are good choices.

Simply being careful when checking/refilling the master cylinder and bleeding the brakes will prevent paint from peeling when using the DOT 3/4/5.1 fluids.
true dot 5 is just to expensive and some dot 4 has a higher boiling point. dot 5 is just better if your sloppy it wont dry out your hands like dot 3 4 or 5.1 and it wont peel paint. dot 5 has been around for a while but has been used in racing applications

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
FWIW I have DOT5 silicone fluid in my buddy's 63 nova. He has wilwood disc brakes all around with an aluminum master cylinder from a 4 disc thunderbird. His car sits ALOT and we did this fluid install back in '04-'05 and so far its been working nicely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts