Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 nova and my turn signals are not working, i checked the fuse and replaced the flasher and they still dont work, anyone know wut else it could be??? its driving me nuts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have a 70 nova and my turn signals are not working, i checked the fuse and replaced the flasher and they still dont work, anyone know wut else it could be??? its driving me nuts
are they grounded properly? did you pull one of the bulbs out to test if the socket is getting any juice with a 12V test light?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are they grounded properly? did you pull one of the bulbs out to test if the socket is getting any juice with a 12V test light?
well the lights come on so there is power there, they just dont blink, i get nothing in the dash either

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a heavy duty flasher you could try? You know the kind you get if you are going to hook a trailer to you truck? If that doesnt fix it I sounds like it could be a ground problem.
ok, but where is the ground that you are talking about?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure you checked the turn signal and not the emergency flasher? Do your emergency flashers work?
im postive i checked the turn signal flasher and it works, and where is the emergency flasher located?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone else maybe know?

·
Registered
203 Posts
turn signal whoas

There should be 2 power wires for tail light and brake light and one ground. If the break lights and tail lights work the rear bulbs and sockets are fine, including the ground. If you have no brake lights check your brake switch. Also try a new flasher, their very cheap and then you've eleminated that as the problem. Something I've done is get a turn signal switch and just plug it in down below the dash without removing the old one and tried it. If you plug the new one in and still no signals, check wires and connections.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There should be 2 power wires for tail light and brake light and one ground. If the break lights and tail lights work the rear bulbs and sockets are fine, including the ground. If you have no brake lights check your brake switch. Also try a new flasher, their very cheap and then you've eleminated that as the problem. Something I've done is get a turn signal switch and just plug it in down below the dash without removing the old one and tried it. If you plug the new one in and still no signals, check wires and connections.
i have brake lights and they work, all lights work, they just dont blink, replaced the old flasher with a new one, where is the signal switch located??? i thought it was in the steering column?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'll bet you didn't replace the signal flasher, but rather the hazard flasher.

Keep looking for another flasher pot. Sometimes they are mounted on the fuse block. Sometimes they hang loose. I don't know your year/make specifically.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll bet you didn't replace the signal flasher, but rather the hazard flasher.

Keep looking for another flasher pot. Sometimes they are mounted on the fuse block. Sometimes they hang loose. I don't know your year/make specifically.
can i get a diagram of this, its a 1970 nova, the one i replaced was on the top left corner above the fuse block

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Sounds like the turn signal switch that is in behind the steering wheel.

-Justin

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like the turn signal switch that is in behind the steering wheel.

-Justin
i took alook at that piece too, and it seems to be working ok, unless its shorted out idk, but if there is another flasher somewhere please let me know lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with Lug79 if the one on the fuse block clicks with the fourways on the trun singal flasher may behind the dash in a clip below the headlight switch some were around there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The switch is in the column, but the plug in leads down to the bottom of the column so you can look under the dash and see the plug-in. It's flat and 2 or 3 inches long. you can just unplug it and plug in a new signal switch and try it. if the signals work, then your turn signal switch is bad. If the hazard flashers work, you can follow the clicking under the dash to find the flasher, then you'll know if you have replaced the right flasher. If the flashers don't work your signal switch is likely the problem. Just remember to double check all your fuses.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I also had a similar problem when I got my nova, The blinkers would blink when they wanted to and my hazards would start blinking about a minute later after turning them on.

My solution was replacing all the rear light bulbs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts