Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my dream car a few weeks ago. Its a 1965 Nova hardtop and I'm loving it. Its in really solid condition, but does need to have a few things fixed.

Aside from that I'm currently focused on safety related improvements. One thing that is throwing me off / that I am not comfortable with; is the single sideview mirror. It seems too close and looking through it, it feels like it doesn't give as much visibility as I'd like.

Just brainstorming here, and this may sound crazy, but I saw that the side view mirrors for a 1968 Camero look similar in style, and look like the mount plate is similar. They are larger and square shaped which is my ideal. Has anyone thought about that kind of swap? Or would I just be butchering my car? I'm not looking to stay 100% stock so I'd prefer the extra visibility.

Either way, I plan on adding a second side-view to the passenger side. I have also seen versions with cables to allow adjusting the car from inside, I might look into that as well.

·
13,679 Posts
Mirrors for the doors in 1965 did not come as standard equipment. They were either part of an extra cost factory option package, dealer installed or an after market product. If you're not set on keeping the car 100% 'as original', the Scott Drake mirrors posted above will give you more mirror viewing surface. Most cable operated remote control mirrors will require some hole drilling.

Bob

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I used a Volvo 142 mirror, its slightly convex mounts so that the wing window still works and doesn't look like it obviously came from another car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I used 74 Corvette mirrors, and moved them forward on both doors (car in blue). Before the redo, I replaced the original round mirrors with 69 Camaro sq mirrors(Tan car) These helped a little. Moving the mirrors forward, and using the longer stem Corvette mirrors worked a lot better. Would have loved to have found electricor remote control mirrors with long stems and the proper angled base.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re: Longroofguy that's good to know. I'll have to make sure the wing windows still work.

The link to the Scott Drake mirrors led to my discovery of the LED side mirrors ? they're Mustang only though.

Too many options!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts