Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen 2 different styles of radiators. Some have the standard top & bottom tanks, and some have side tanks. Is one better than the other? I have a 194 in my 65 4 dor, with constant overheating problems and was wondering if one be beneficial over the other.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I've seen 2 different styles of radiators. Some have the standard top & bottom tanks, and some have side tanks. Is one better than the other? I have a 194 in my 65 4 dor, with constant overheating problems and was wondering if one be beneficial over the other.
Great question, which I dont have an answer for. My rad has side tanks. Most modern cars use the cross flow rad also. JR

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
top tank radiators are called downflow radiators ( usually original stuff ) side tank radiators are called crossflow radiators ( most aftermarket types ) a cross flow is actually better than a down flow so ive heard. a lot of down flow radiators are only offered up to 3 row while cross flow are offered to 4 row. i dont think there is a difference there doing the same thing. do you have a fan shroud ? is your water pump working ? ( check for flow ) is your thermostat stuck ? how hot is she getting ?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
a crossflow rad is much more efficient than an old style conventional down flow. generally the "path" is longer from side to side,and in some cases the rad core is "S" shaped from the top to bottom.it doesn't have the same series of tubes that the older style has and will allow the coolant a longer trip through to better dissipate the heat.also,aluminum will shed the heat faster than brass and will also be more efficient.
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChevyIIHeavy. I put a new t-stat in it about 4 months ago, a 160 degree, I've tried a 7lb, 13lb, and a 16lb cap, and it's still overheating. In 7 miles, it gets up to 220 degrees, which is way too hot for me. I may know what the problem is. last year, I put some of that rad stop leak into the rad as I accidentally punched a hole into it with my oil filter wrench,(194 L-6), and I had to do something quick. I had the hole fixed shortly after, but I dont think the rad shop cleaned it, only fixed the hole. I always listened to my dad about that stuff, but I had to fix it fast, as the closest rad shop is about 50 miles away in Prescott AZ, so I was stuck. I'm just hoping I didn't plug up anything in the engine itself. If so, It looks like a rebuild or maybe someone can clean it out.
Thanks to all who replied. I will consider a crossflow radiator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts