Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has come up in the past on what to do with the overstuffed bumpers on the 73 and 74 so after reading the posts on the subject this is what I came up with. You can check out the pics on my link. We sucked the bumper in tight to the car and then narrowed it to equalize the gap and then shorted the tails to to fit the proportions. A little smothing and some fresh paint and they'll look great. I'm really pleased with the results and want to thank you guys for the help. Great site.

·
Registered
348 Posts
lookin good. you are doing exactly what i had in mind for the rear, that is if i dont just slap on a 68-72 tail panel.

anyway, nice work. keep the pics coming. its helping me make up my mind. :rolleyes:

Eric

·
Registered
320 Posts
First I wanted to say that it looks real good and you have done great work with the bumper. Second, I have a question. With the bumper being that close, can you swing the license plate down far enough to get the fuel nozzle in? Just wondering.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That’s not bad having to move it 1/8th, the whole car is looking good, and I really like the pic of the dash. You might want to use extra care with that shifter boot, it’s really hard to find a replacement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
paulanntim said:
Thanks,
The license plate will clear, I did have to move it up about an 1/8 or so just to make sure we had enough clearance. Tight but functional.
The bumper looks great! I did the same thing on my sons 74. You are right about the fuel door. It is TIGHT. I'm going to make an offset plate to lower the bumper 3/4" to completely eliminate the problem. SCOTT

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is some excellent work! This was actually one thing that was on my list of things to do. I have a couple of questions. What did you use to cut the bumpers? Also, how much did you remove from each side to get that sized gap? Again, great fab work. Thanks.
-Steve

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you guys like it. I cut about 3/4 of an inch off each side with a cut off wheel in the 4 inch grinder. It cuts straighter and less heat then the torch or plasma cutter. We also removed about 2 inches from the tails to shorten them up.
Also for Drum, I found a GM shifter boot from www.oldmusclecars.com. the more I deal with these guys the more I like them. I just ordered a bunch of tranny seals and stuff. All GM parts in original packages. The only way to go.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey!
Very nice job on that car. Good luck with it. I want to ask, what type, brand, is that jack you are using to get the body up? Have you seen any of those home-made?
Mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, The words of encouragement are always a nice way to keep you motivated.
The lift is a UNIC its good for 6600lbs and it's the handiest thing in the shop. The best part is you can pick the car up and roll it around. It's like a big pallet jack that goes 6 feet in the air. I haven't seen any home made, remember it's your life on the balance under the car. I want to feel safe.
Paul

·
6,558 Posts
Here's the best shot of the front bumper on mine. I did look at some other ones I have and the bumper top edge fits up against the aluminum filler under the grill and headlights. Since the bumper has a different dip or is more flatter than the headlight trim I left it that way and it looks like I added some metal to the top edge of the bumper where it fits under the fender's bolted on pot metal corners.
Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts