Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I was told to be a 65 SS car. I bought this car a couple months ago from a dealer in Atlanta. THis is my first old car so I knew a lot less about seriously looking for VIN fraud.

When I saw the pictures of the car, I noticed that the trim tag had a little damage right where the "8" would be in a "11837" . I asked the guy, and he said it must have been damaged at some point and referred me to the VIN which clearly has the 11837 stating the car was a real SS.

After a couple months now, today I went back out to pull all of the codes for a perspective buyer and here is what I see.

VIN# on the driver door jamb: 118375N135536

Cowl Tag/Trim Tag:
65-11837-NOR13546
745 KK
W 2MP 3L
5WL

The car also has an 80/20 bench in it which a lot of people told me would not have been available in a 65 SS car?

The car is now all black, but I can see a little blue coming through on the interior plastic so the car was origionally the blue color that matches up to the trim tag. Which would make sense, if the car was not a real SS. They would have damaged the trim tag, and replaced the VIN from a real SS car.

I'm guessing this because the trim tag sequence, and VIN sequence don't match up. Unless they sometimes didn't match up????

Seems to me the VIN tag has been swapped???

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
according to the VIN, it is a V8 SS car.

The cowl tags do not match the VIN. These were body build sequences. As far as the bench seat, a SS would have only had bucket seats and a floor shifter with a console.

Thats pretty easy to change, and not uncommon for those pieces to be missing.

If the VIN tag looks untampered with, it's sounds legit

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the VIN is a SS VIN #. and it matches the origional title work I have.

But it seems the cowl tag/trim tag has been tampered with and it was a 116 car. The right side of the number has been ground off so you can't read it. Also got part of the "3".

I'll post pictures and you can see what I'm talking about. Unless I'm missing something here.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm guessing that the trim tag was on the car and the VIN was replaced.

THats why they ground down the numbers on the cowl tag.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Is the car a column shift or floor shift car? are there any bucket seat mounts? any SS trim? does it have a V8 in it?

It's not uncommon for the cowl tags to get damaged. the one on my sport coupe is dented where the option codes are.

If the car is apart, there is a hidden VIN under the drivers front fender, on the lip of the cowl under the rubber seal. Match that to the VIN, and it will tell you if it's been changed. assuming they did'nt know that was there.

I think if they were trying to hide the info on the cowl tag, they would just take it off, instead of damaging it. they're not needed as any part of the VIN.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Also, you mention a blue color showing through, is it blue? or a greenish color? the cowl tag says the car was originally a Artisian turquise, with aqua interior.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NOw the car has a 327 / 4 speed in it. It doesn't have any SS trim on the outside of the car and it has bucket seats in it with no 4 speed console.

The car was completely restored by southern collectibles from what I was told.

I talked to the guy who sold it and he said the tag was bumped or something. Just seems funny that it was right on the "8" that makes it an SS car. The 4-speed decoded to a 67 muncie. Haven't looked at the 327 to decode anything or the read end.

It's a super nice car, just hope I didn't get scammed somewhere down the line. But the title I have is for an SS car and it matches the VIN on the door.
Just bother me that the trim tag has some issues with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, you mention a blue color showing through, is it blue? or a greenish color? the cowl tag says the car was originally a Artisian turquise, with aqua interior.
I would say it's more of a green color. Which would match the trim tag.

Which makes me think it was a 116 VIN 400 V8 car. And the VIN tag was replaced.

I'll have to get some closeup pics so you can see what you think.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
well, that is weird looking.

to be honest. the car is missing all of the SS stuff. so any added SS value is gone anyway. You won't be able to confirm what you're thinking without pulling the front fender and looking at the hidden VIN.

Can you post a pic of the VIN tag? usually when replaced, people do not use the correct rivets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok,

So I need to pull the drivers side fender off the car and look for a hidden VIN.

If the car has origional sheet metal like I was told, then this should be on the car. This is on the "body" of the car and not the fender right?

I'll go pull the fender off now to take a look. I'll also get some pictures of the door VIN so you can see it.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
when you pull the fender off, there should be a rubber seal stapled to the lip of the cowl. It should have a partial VIN under the seal. Match that to the VIN tag.

good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool.

Is this the same for all model Nova's? I have a 62 and 64 SS in my garage so I would like to check them also. Plus the fenders are off so this will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well- I went out and checked the door VIN tags on my other novas (62 and 64)

both have "dimples" where the rivet holes are. With no visible holes in the tags.

The 65 "SS" tag clearly has rivets with holes in them. So I can see that the rivets used to attach the 62 and 64 are different than the 65 as it has rivets with holes in them.

So this really makes me think that they VIN was riveted to a 116 car. That explains why the number was ground on the trim tag.

Will know more when I pull the fender and look for the partial VIN. But from what I see, it looks like the VIN tag was replaced.

·
13,698 Posts
Can't see the entire instrument cluster in the pics. An SS would have a clock in the center opening and real gauges for fuel, oil, temp and battery. The non SS would have a fuel gauge and idiot lights for the others. This is not the deciding factor, but not much else to go on.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just checked the car and it doesn't have the clock in the has. Middle opening has the chevy symbol and it has idiot lights for everything except the fuel.

I'm really beginning to think that the VIN tag was replaced now. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he said he doesn't know anything about it because the car has a title and it matched the VIN # on the door.

So it has an SS VIN, the trim tag has been damaged where the "8" would be to signify a real SS, it doesn't have the clock, console, bucket seats, or trim.

Not looking good for me at this point. I'm really mad because I feel ripped off. I paid real good money for this car. At the time I bought it I didn't know as much and how to identify a real SS car. Not sure if I have any recourse, but I'm not happy at all.

I'm going to start calling the guys who had the car on the title work and see if I can find anything else out.

·
13,698 Posts
Just did some further checking on the content of your cowl tag. The 2M indicates the car was originally an automatic. The 'P' is radio. The trim code 745 is 'Aqua standard cloth' which would have been installed in a non SS hardtop coupe. In an SS car this code would have been 744 indicating 'Aqua vinyl buckets.' Not looking good that this car was born an SS:(.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats what I thought. So it definately looks like the VIN Tag was replaced to match the title work.

I bought it From Cherokee Auto Sales in Atlanta. They go it from,
Southern Collectibles INC in Greenville, SC http://www.gorescorvettes.com.

They got it from Southside Motor Company in Rutherford, NC.

So at some point the VIN plate was switched because it was an SS VIN and had title work with it. That explains why the trim tag was damaged/modified right where the 118 should be.

Now I'm stuck with an SS clone it looks like. Not even sure what it would be worth now.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts