Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I stripped the underside of my nova to bare metal and plan on applying pot-15. Under the car, looking at the back half, there are a few pin holes at the trunk area, Im just going to fill them and paint. Butttt for the inside of the trunk, do I need to strip the whole thing to bare metal again and apply por-15, or can I get away with sanding the existing paint down till smooth and repainting? I took a knife to the inside of the trunk and scrapped a few areas till I can see metal and there is some rust, but the trunk is not crumbling, and like I side, the underside only had a few pin holes. I’m short on time, and sanding to bare metal and prep work is the biggest pain. Would anyone know if I can get away with just sanding old paint a little and repainting, while still stopping the rust that is already there (under old paint)? Any help would be appreciated, and product recommendations would be great. Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
1,936 Posts
Panels usually rust from the inside out and rust can hide under paint, bondo, undercoat, etc. So if you have holes on the outside, you have problems on the inside. Especially with trunks. That being said...

The trunks were normally sprayed with an undercoating type substance, we always called it Zolatone. It can be quite the chore to remove. On "normal" builds we would leave coatings like this alone and spot treat any minor rust issues. This is assuming the coatings were still solid and not bubbling or flaking off. If you have areas where the coating is starting to come off, I would hit it with a putty knife / wire brush and remove the loose material. You need to make sure rust is not hiding underneath and treat as needed.

Without seeing the trunk in person its hard to assess the rust scope and how to proceed. Any rust obviously needs to be addressed. You will need to use your best judgement. Those factory coating were usually pretty solid, so leaving it alone is a viable idea. But again, rust on the outside usually equals rust on the inside.

Reactions: kcmocarguy

·
Registered
961 Posts
well said Southbay2s I have had no luck with por-15, I got down bare metal, I thought using wire wheel on hand held grinder, good luck

·
Registered
310 Posts
MWoody you have to ask yourself how long do you want it to look nice? You can just scuff up the current paint and apply new over it. It is a band aid, eventually it will bubble/crack because the rust is still spreading. If your going through all the trouble of stripping the underside to paint and prevent further rust I personally would strip out the trunk floor. If there are pin holes there is rust and it will be under that current paint.

I stripped down the outside on my 71 and thought it wasn't too bad, then I stripped down the inside and realized I needed a whole replacement trunk pan.

·
6,748 Posts
Until they start reproducing trunk/hatch floors for the 74 and newer models, anything you can do to protect what is there, the better.

On a 74 Spirit of America of mine I had to get a hatchfloor out of another donor SOA and once I got it all welded in and metal finished I applied a 2 part epoxy primer on both sides.

While others may or may not have had issues with POR-15, I've used it on car metal as well as on a steel air conditioning bracket off of my house and have had no issues. Like any other things, prep is the key and using it as directed.

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate it. I am going to go ahead and strip the inside of the trunk to bare metal. Haha I was really hoping to get some feed back saying that sanding down the paint a little and recoating will stop rust. Hopefully it's not too much of a pain to reach metal. Also, it sucks hearing people having bad experiences with por-15. 1. Because its tragic for them 2. haha I have it on my car so I'm scared........ Fun fact tho- what I did was por-15 the underside, and firewall. And rust bullet the inside of the car. This was because por 15 has a better appearance but the prep is much more strict than Rust Bullet so I just Rust Bullet the insides that will forever be under carpet. Haha I will also now sand inside of trunk to bare metal, then rust bullet followed by some sort of top coat.. splatter paint maybe? Well see!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
You could try marine strip or aircraft paint remover wear gloves and eyeglasses it’s like a gel..spread it on in small areas with a cheap paint brush remove it with a scraper or steel wool.. it will bubble upi takes a couple coats. Unfortunately the EPA has discontinued a lot of the good products and is now using cheaper paint strippers Thst don’t work as well.. I spray painted my trunk with gray primer then used splatter paint from Menards ..spray cans ..and topcoated
that with waterborne urethane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts