Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below of are a couple of pics of my progress to date. What you see in the pics is (in order of coats)

Top (dark grey) DAS3027 sealer
middle (Blue) DBC 2000 Base coat
bottom (white) DAS3021 sealer

Is it ok to shoot my DBC2000 base then clear on top of this or should I reseal? According to the tech sheets, it is ok to shoot the color on top of this. I'm not looking for a show car, but I want it to look decent. I'm repainting the same blue color.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If it was me I'd probably re seal it. I like having a nice uniform surface to shoot base onto. Technicly you could probably just base ontop of what you have, but I also know that DBC can be a pain somtimes lifting at the edges of different surfaces that have been sanded through. To be perfectly safe I'd re seal.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would definately seal it first. It will give you a uniform undercoat for the base plus keep the base from contaminating what is under it if that were to happen.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I will be shooting two coats of sealer tomorrow. I will let it set until I get back on Friday, sand it with 600 and shoot base.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not just shoot one coat of sealer, let it flash and start spraying base?
Everytime I shoot the DAS302X sealer, it has a texture to it. If it would lay flat, I would do it. Is there something else in the Deltron line to use that will lay flat? I have two good coats on the hood now and it is not perfectly flat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I always used PPG DP epoxy for sealer. It usually layed out great. I have never used the DAS302X as I don't use PPG anymore. So I can't really give you any advice about that. If you are mixing it correctly and have the correct temp reducer and right gun size it should lay out fine. Wish I could be more help.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always used PPG DP epoxy for sealer. It usually layed out great. I have never used the DAS302X as I don't use PPG anymore. So I can't really give you any advice about that. If you are mixing it correctly and have the correct temp reducer and right gun size it should lay out fine. Wish I could be more help.
I suspect it is more "me" than anything else. This is my first paint job.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Everytime I shoot the DAS302X sealer, it has a texture to it. If it would lay flat, I would do it. Is there something else in the Deltron line to use that will lay flat? I have two good coats on the hood now and it is not perfectly flat.
Maybe the gun settings. A flash off of the sealer then color coat would be the best. If its warm maybe more reducer on the sealer, prolly can over reduce it to some extent without too much of a problem. Talk to the supplier, they will give you a n extreme reducer ratio, you might be way short of it. If its not laying down sounds like its drying up a bit soon. Too thick? Not a proper gun setting? More pressure, less flow. But I would call the supplier, ask them what is a good tip size and pressure and how much can you reduce it to get it to lay down. You might be surprised. They may say you can go further with the reducer. And I dont know what kind of texture you are getting? Pebbles? Orange peel? Dry coat? Dry flow? JR

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Your paint shop will have all the tech sheets for the paints they sell. You
should get a copy of each which will tell you the important facts for that
item.

You MUST practice on scrap to get your settings, paint or primers and you
down before shooting your car. Yes I know it wastes some material but if
shoot and your not ready your scrapping it and doing a whole lot more
sanding than you need to.

So...like the sealer stage your at you know is not right, don't assume its
the primer and it is what it is. It is not, it should lay down perfect or very
very close as most sealers are not meant to be sanded before base. Again
the tech sheets will tell you (sand or no sand) so you know if you can pile
it on or it should be finish grade.

Last the second picture....is that reflection shiny? It should be flat so no
gloss before sealer.

Chuck

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would block out your car first, i see low spots all over, your really going to see those when you clear, then put one coat of sealer on (over reduce if it's not laying down for you, and turn up your pressure) then put a nice closed coat of base on, then what i call a honey comb coat, then a drop coat and you should be Golden ;)

Note: if you are spraying Metallics (or any color for that matter), when you pull back for your drop coat, drop your pressure down some (maybe 3 or 4 pounds ) and slow down your passes to where it looks like little drops of dew going on the panel, this way the solvents will be wet by the time they hit the panel and melt in...

Tech Sheets only tell you so much like ive said 100 times, hope this helped :D

I know it's hard to tell in this pic, but the sealer has laid down nicely for me....

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll give it nother try. I have an old VW fender I can work on. I don't think I'm flashing too quick, so I will play with the gun and air pressure. I did have better luck over reducing the clear 10% I'll try that with the sealer.

Edit: The second pic has some reflection and a littel bit of bare metal.

It is probably best to go over it lightly with 600 before sealing?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok, I'll give it nother try. I have an old VW fender I can work on. I don't think I'm flashing too quick, so I will play with the gun and air pressure. I did have better luck over reducing the clear 10% I'll try that with the sealer.

Edit: The second pic has some reflection and a littel bit of bare metal.

It is probably best to go over it lightly with 600 before sealing?
I would yes,I would like you having about 40 to 50 psi going to the gun, and when the trigger is squeezed your gauge should read about 25 to 27 psi, this will give you correct atomization to bust up the sealer and get it to lay down, maybe try holding ur gun about 5 to 6 inches from ur work area...

And come on Chuck you know better than that, I'm just saying Tech Sheets are good for mixing ratios, tip size, and other stuff, but they don't tell u how to get stuff to lay down for ya when its acting funny :)

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tell ya what, you come buff my nova, and ill come shoot urs :)
You got to be careful, I might take you up on that. :D

I had my preasure set to 40 and dropping to 26. I'll turn it up a bit more. I'll try over reducing 10% as well. That sure helped my clear.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Tell ya what, you come buff my nova, and ill come shoot urs :)
Oooh! Easy with those statements, I would love to have a painter do that deal. Hahaha. Just kidding. Where are you at, I need a good painter and by the way, Im lousy on the buffer :) But I am in the market for a painter..... JR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts