Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are the pics I took of the block when I went to look at it. What do you guys think? The guy said he has to get $200.00 for it. He took a hone to one of the cylinders that you can clearly see in the photos, he said it's been sitting under his work bench for quite some time and is currently standard bore. It has light surface rust and of course plenty of dirt and dried grease. The casting number is 361959 which indicates it's out of a 73-75 Chevelle and was an actual 454 CID. I plan to have Nyes Automotive in Muncie, IN work it out to a 496. Do you think I should jump on this for $200?

In this pic you can see the one cylinder that he honed out:

The honed cylinder:

This is what most of the other cylinders look like:

This is the worst cylinder:

Rear end of the block:

Oil Filter adapter area:

Casting Number "361959":

Mains / cylinders:

Another shot of the mains and cylinders:

Yet another:

One last showing the honed cylinder and all others:

Lifter valley:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
$200 is a really good price for a 454 block. I'd say you're probably fine with it, but you won't know untill you get it to the machine shop to be checked out. Look really closely for any cracks.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I guess its OK. though there are lots of 454s around me that are complete for 300 400 bucks...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
That rust in the cylinders looks kinda heavy. I'd be concerned about it cleaning up. How's the rust in the lifter bores?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That rust in the cylinders looks kinda heavy. I'd be concerned about it cleaning up. How's the rust in the lifter bores?
Lifter bores are about the same as the cylinders. He won't let me take the block to have any work done on it unless I buy it. He said "No offence, but I just don't want to risk losing a 454 short block."

·
Registered
81 Posts
454 200

Lifter bores are about the same as the cylinders. He won't let me take the block to have any work done on it unless I buy it. He said "No offence, but I just don't want to risk losing a 454 short block."
i bought one similar to that they bored it and the pitts in the walls kept coming and coming they said sleeve it i junked it

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i bought one similar to that they bored it and the pitts in the walls kept coming and coming they said sleeve it i junked it
I'm thinking about holding off, also in the pic of the cylinder that was honed there is what looks like a large mark going from the deck down into the cylinder. You can see it in all of the pics showing the honed cylinder. That's not normal is it?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I would buy this block as a last resort IMO

There are TONS of complete 454s in WAY better condition then this one. for about the same price.

Just think about this. why was this block taken apart? why has it been sitting open to the elements all these years when it is a supposed good rebuildable core?

Like i said. Look around before you jump on this one. your going to spend more on cleaning,magging,boring and honing then a complete running 454 would cost you in the long run.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

There are TONS of complete 454s in WAY better condition then this one. for about the same price.

Just think about this. why was this block taken apart? why has it been sitting open to the elements all these years when it is a supposed good rebuildable core?

Like i said. Look around before you jump on this one. your going to spend more on cleaning,magging,boring and honing then a complete running 454 would cost you in the long run.
Very good point, I'm going to pass on this one and keep looking for a complete BBC.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts

Man i gotta get you to send me a handfull of these big blocks you can find so cheap. A worn out rebuilder goes for $1000 around here.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Why don't you ask Nye's to find you a block? Your "good deal" may cost more in the long run from extra work or it might not pass mag check and you have to start over. In fact I'd have them quote you a complete short block. When we did Artie's 383, it was cheaper to get the whole short block then find one, machine and build it ourselves. They buy quality parts in quantity and get a better deal than we could buying retail.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why don't you ask Nye's to find you a block? Your "good deal" may cost more in the long run from extra work or it might not pass mag check and you have to start over. In fact I'd have them quote you a complete short block. When we did Artie's 383, it was cheaper to get the whole short block then find one, machine and build it ourselves. They buy quality parts in quantity and get a better deal than we could buying retail.
I spoke with Pat and he said he could build a complete long block tuned, broken in, and dynoed for $5,750 out the door and it would be right at 550hp and around 580lb ft. HOWEVER, he said that he is COMPLETELY out of GM blocks, both small block and big block AND that his suppliers are out as well and that he does not know when he will have more.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
If the guy will not allow you to take the block to be "Checked out".. then he knows there is a problem....

PASS it like a Renault

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the guy will not allow you to take the block to be "Checked out".. then he knows there is a problem....

PASS it like a Renault
I'm going to call Pat at Nyes Automotive today and tell him of my findings and see if I can get him to find a block to build off of or see if he has any more in stock yet.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Wow, the country is finally running out of rebuildable Chevy Blocks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts