Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I work with (Well, kind of, he's a vendor for another company) has a 350 that came out of a 91 Chevy 1500 (I believe this is what he said)

It's a fuel injected engine, so I'd be converting it to a carb'd set up. He said one of the cylinders has a good amount of carbon build up, which I assume is a valve somewhere.

I remember hearing somewhere that the heads from a fuel injected engine won't work with a carb set up, is that true? I'd probably get a really good deal, so I don't think getting a new set of heads would be a huge issue if I had to.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,893 Posts
Carb style intake manifolds are readily available for that engine. If you are adventurous it's a great time to take the EFI jump. That engine is the simplest conversion and drives quite well. Speedway motors offers a wiring harness with all the unnecessary junk removed and OBD1 comps are still fairly common. The only issue will be the fuel system. The EFI on those engines need 15PSI to operate properly. Not a big deal just one more thing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carb style intake manifolds are readily available for that engine. If you are adventurous it's a great time to take the EFI jump. That engine is the simplest conversion and drives quite well. Speedway motors offers a wiring harness with all the unnecessary junk removed and OBD1 comps are still fairly common. The only issue will be the fuel system. The EFI on those engines need 15PSI to operate properly. Not a big deal just one more thing.:rolleyes:
Yeah, I'm not sure...I'm still a big carb guy.

My main concerns with the engine are basically, being a later model is it junk? Should I get one from the 70s/early 80s? And weather or not I'll need different heads.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I woulndt, the 87-95 TBI engine is a very underpowered engine. It has a flat tappet camshaft and the heads dont flow. It will also be hit or miss for a mechanical fuel pump. There are intake manifolds if you wanted to use a carb, but you would be better off getting a 96-01 350 vortec engine or looking for something different IMO as there isnt much I would want to use off that engine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you can pick it up for a hundred fifty bucks or less, then OK - even though it's not really a great performance engine. Any more than that, I'd pass.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Only if you plan on rebuilding it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The only thing I'll probably be actually using is the block. I was hoping I could use the heads, but if they're crap, I'll just buy some vortec heads
I felt the same way when I recently purchased a 1988 3500 GMC motor because I was under the impression that a 350 when installed in a truck it has much more power. It is not true at all. They have more torque but the horsepower is vague. One advantage is that the one I purchased it is a 4 bolt main. It did not appear to be from this truck originally due to the internal condition. See pics below.

Block has being sent for boring .30 over due to constant convincing from many fellows here and I am in the process of ordering a Top End SBC Engine Kit. I should be close to 400 HP I hope.
Keep that block and see if you can get your hands on a Vortec Motor. If not follow the lead.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I felt the same way when I recently purchased a 1988 3500 GMC motor because I was under the impression that a 350 when installed in a truck it has much more power. It is not true at all. They have more torque but the horsepower is vague. One advantage is that the one I purchased it is a 4 bolt main. It did not appear to be from this truck originally due to the internal condition. See pics below.

Block has being sent for boring .30 over due to constant convincing from many fellows here and I am in the process of ordering a Top End SBC Engine Kit. I should be close to 400 HP I hope.
Keep that block and see if you can get your hands on a Vortec Motor. If not follow the lead.
I talked to the guy again today, I told him I was only interested in the block. He said it would probably only be $100, he has to ask his dad to be sure.

It is a 4 bolt main, I asked him to get the casting number for me.

My plan would be to turn it into a 383.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the input I've gotten so far on this engine. However this is the best deal I've found so far on one (For some reason everyone on craigslist around here thinks their engines are worth their weight in gold)

I just need 1 question answered pretty much. Is the block itself worth using, if that's all I use? Are there any differences between this block and an older 350 block?

I understand that most of the engine is junk, so I told the guy I was only interested in the block.

But I don't know if these blocks are weak, or are different in any way that would prevent it from being a good candidate for a 383.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
ALSO. Don't forget these are 1 piece rear main blocks. Externally balanced as well. Dipstick is on the passengers side. So you will need the flexplate/flywheel, balancer, oil pan, etc. A big plus is these blocks are cast with provisions to use a factory type roller cam, if it doesn't already have one. I would just get the engine minus the top end parts like heads, intake etc.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you are in a budget like me? I would just get one of these kits. I spoke to the guy and his deal is to mill everything to specifics combining cam, heads, etc.

Put this on that block and you should be near 375 HP without boring. I saw the Dyno sheets with stock block and flat top pistons and looks good.
I am short of 420.00 to get my kit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not really on a budget, I would like to not spend more than about 2,000 building the 383. I'm hoping for about 450 HP, 400+ torque.

Sent from my HERO200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, but I have access to some of the bolt on pieces for fairly cheap, I've got a few friends who have headers, intakes, carbs...etc just laying around.

Sent from my HERO200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't forget all the machine work that needs to be done, for the stroker rods and crank,and heads.
Yeah, that $2,000 is about how much I'd like to spend on just the parts.

I'll be building this engine and fixing my Nova up over about a 2 year time span.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yeah, that $2,000 is about how much I'd like to spend on just the parts.

I'll be building this engine and fixing my Nova up over about a 2 year time span.
Yeah It sounds about right when it comes to 2K in parts if you looking to make it a stroker. You will need extra money for some labor that requires machine shop. Unless you have a machine shop.

I am hearing lots of good things from this shop below. I have several friends in P.R. that run Novas on the track and they told me this kits hold up pretty well. For the price you cant go wrong.

http://www.cgmmotorsports.com/topenginekithydflattappet.aspx

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just used one of these motors in my 1970 nova. You need a flexplate, clutch, I had to switch out the alternator, did a real simple wiring harness ( switched to carb), you need a intake manifold.

I used the original heads but Im sure it only has between 250-300 hp from the 90 chevy 350 block. I rebuilt the whole thing. Most of these motors come with the set up for a hydraulic came switch which i did. You need to buy lifters, cam (i got a high torque truck cam but you can buy nice high performance ones) pushrods and the "spider" that keeps all the lifters in place. I bought all but the cam at a pick and pull for $20 bucks!! I also changed the radiator to a 90 camaro radiator.

Hope this is helpful. you can keep a build with these engines real cheap but they can get out of hand fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts