Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66. The parking lights work with the switch halfway out. When I pull it all the way out, the parking lights go out. The turn signals work fine. Is my switch bad? If not can I make them work with the lights on?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm rewiring my car right now, so I have an idear or two about how to do it. The should be a parking light power wire, as well as a running light power wire on the switch. When the switch is pulled all the way out, the parking light power is disengaged and the running light is engaged. If you run it into the running light power post, you should be successful. I will look more closely at it tomorrow and let you know if I just made a buffoon of myself.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My first car was a 64' Corvair, I too wanted the parking lights to come on with the head lights. I just put a diode between the two wires (at the switch) that powered the head lights and parking lights. If you dont know what a diode does, it only lets power go one way, that way, you still have parking lights in the parking light position and head lights and parking lights in the head light position. It's been so long ago (back in 1975) when I did it, so I really dont remember which wires or what size diode I used, but it worked for me....

Just an idea,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck..

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you want to run your parking lights all the time, here is a way to do it, very simple.
>
> Starting in 1968, when side-marker lights were
> introduced, the parking lights remained on when the
> headlights were switched on. Prior to that model year,
> the parking lights switched off when the headlights
> were switched on. I believe this pertains to all GM
> vehicles.
> I own a 66 SS396 Chevelle, and found an easy way to
> change this without adding anything or cutting any
> wiring (and its completely reversible). The hardest
> part, especially on a 66-67 Chevelle (with A/C yet),
> is removing the light switch from the dash.
>
> Play it safe, and disconnect the battery first. Then
> disconnect the light switch from the dash, and drop it
> down below the edge of the dash. Before you unplug the
> wiring harness from the switch, look at the position
> of the purple wire in the connector. It will be in a
> slot which is at the end of the switch, farthest from
> the dash. Look for an open slot in the conector which
> is at the other end of the connector, towards the
> dash. Remove the connector from the light switch, and
> then release the terminal of the purple wire from the
> connector using a small screwdriver (you do this from
> the light switch side of the connector). Insert the
> terminal of the purple wire into the open slot of the
> connector which you identified earlier (the one closer
> to the dash). Then just reconnect the wiring harness
> to the light switch, and reinstall the light switch
> into the dash, and reconnect the battery. Now the
> parking lights will function as before in the halfway
> position, but remain on when the headlights are
> switched on.
>
> I did this two years ago on my Chevelle and on a 65
> Impala, and haven't had any problems from it. I don't
> remember if there are any numbers on the slots in the
> connector, or if there was more than one open slot.
>

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
If you want to run your parking lights all the time, here is a way to do it, very simple.......................
>
Thanks for the idea. While I was waiting around today I tested and documented this process for my 66 Chevy II. I added a new thread in the electrical section with the link. Maybe it can be a sticky or put it in the best of electrical since this is asked so often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first car was a 64' Corvair, I too wanted the parking lights to come on with the head lights. I just put a diode between the two wires (at the switch) that powered the head lights and parking lights. If you dont know what a diode does, it only lets power go one way, that way, you still have parking lights in the parking light position and head lights and parking lights in the head light position. It's been so long ago (back in 1975) when I did it, so I really dont remember which wires or what size diode I used, but it worked for me....

Just an idea,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck..
Hey there.
So I recently purchased a 65 Nova. Obviously noticed the parking light problem. So I did relocate the purple wire in the connector and it did fix the parking light issue but only in the front. Do I need to add a wire from switch to the rear lamps??

·
Registered
731 Posts
I asked this same question a couple of years ago about my 63. Here is a link to the solution that worked for me on the 63. Quite simple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts