Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm building a ´71 Pro Street from scratch, over here in Denmark. The car is gonna see alot of strip time, when i'm done.

What's the best offset to run on a drag wheel..? Is the rim stronger when the offset is 0..?

Where do I want my mounting pads for the wheels to be in the fenderwells..?

Example: My rear fenderwells is 18" wide(From lip to the new frame)

1: Do I want the mounting pad to be in center, 9" from the frame..?

2: Or shorten the rear further more(less weight), and run the mounting pads 3" from the frame..?

Hope any of you experts can help me..

Regards

Daniel

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
You can get any backspace you want. However the less backspace you have, the harder it is on the axle bearings. This is especially important on a street use car. I know some guys running as much as a 6-1/2" backspace. Common backspace and easiest to fine both new and used is probably 4-1/2".

But what ever you do, as mentioned, have the wheels before you cut any axle. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply..

So if my use is street/strip (50/50), i should go for a larger backspace, due to the axle bearings. The 12" rims i'm gonna buy with 0 offset, has the backspace og 6½ as you mentioned Pandora.

Thansk for the advise with mocking up the tires and wheels before cutting..

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
A rear engine dragster will run as little as 3.5 inch BS wheels. Many fast race cars also run lots of offset so the rearend can be as short as possible to reduce weight, especially rotating weight. With the big axel bearings most people run today few people worry about bearings and loading. My Nova is running 3.5 BS wheels that are 15 inch wide but it isn't a street car. Most people I know just do whatever they want and need to fit the tire they want.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
A rear engine dragster will run as little as 3.5 inch BS wheels. Many fast race cars also run lots of offset so the rearend can be as short as possible to reduce weight, especially rotating weight. With the big axel bearings most people run today few people worry about bearings and loading. My Nova is running 3.5 BS wheels that are 15 inch wide but it isn't a street car. Most people I know just do whatever they want and need to fit the tire they want.
3.5 BS on my 15" wheels as well. They've been on the car for 10 years on the same axle bearings.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
with todays higher quality axles & wheels, bearing life seems to not be much of an issue as it used to be.

the smaller backspace / shorter housing combo is lighter & stronger, plus the wheels are much easier to remove off the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3.5 BS on my 15" wheels as well. They've been on the car for 10 years on the same axle bearings.
Ray have you also street driven the car with that setup..?

TechGuy and McCoy >> My plan is to overhaul my 12 bolt, with parts from Moser. Ford 9" housing ends, new axle and etc

When you refer to "larger" "newer" bearings, does that refer to the Ford 9" type of bearings.

Just need to be guided in the right direction.:yes: Was told the same about the bearings from an old mechanic, so that's why I created the thread, because all the pic's i've seen with Pro Street Novas were with small backspace. But don't wanna change my bearings every 2 years because it looks good.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Sell the 12 bolt then use that money and apply it to a 9 inch rearend assebly from Moser or whoever you choose. Beefing up the 12 bolt will cost about the same as what the 9 inch and it will still be weaker. I was talking about the big Ford axel bearings

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Ray have you also street driven the car with that setup..?

TechGuy and McCoy >> My plan is to overhaul my 12 bolt, with parts from Moser. Ford 9" housing ends, new axle and etc

When you refer to "larger" "newer" bearings, does that refer to the Ford 9" type of bearings.

Just need to be guided in the right direction.:yes: Was told the same about the bearings from an old mechanic, so that's why I created the thread, because all the pic's i've seen with Pro Street Novas were with small backspace. But don't wanna change my bearings every 2 years because it looks good.
I never said I was young. :eek: :D

You won't be changing your bearings every 2 years, its just that the less backspace creates more stress on the bearings.

"Old" mechanic's tale, I don't think so. :rolleyes:

I use to off-road race Jeeps and the less backspace you would have created more bearing issues. But on those vehicles, you dealt with it! :yes:

Sell the 12 bolt then use that money and apply it to a 9 inch rearend assebly from Moser or whoever you choose. Beefing up the 12 bolt will cost about the same as what the 9 inch and it will still be weaker. I was talking about the big Ford axel bearings
I thought you already had a Ford 9". :confused:

Here's your best advice! ^ ^ ^ :yes:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
No, mine has not been street driven with it. But it has been bracket raced with these same axles and c-clip eliminators for 10 years. Mine is a 12 bolt rear with 33 spline Moser axles. I do agree, if you are going to be street driving to go with at least the 9" ford ends on your housing for the larger bearings. I think Strange may be making a street c-clip eliminator to better handle side loading.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all guys..Much appreciated..!

I'm working on different budgets and ideas. And my number one wish is a complete 9" from Moser. But it's not easy to sell my 12 bolt in Denmark.

I'll soon create a building thread for my project..

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts