Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im looking to replace quite a few things on my 72 but i wanna start with the springs shocks what ever else i need..well when i used to take her out and id pull out my driveway it would rub in the front on both sides and when i would do a u turn it would rub a lot when the weight was on the right side or left..so my question is if this is the springs and shocks? what else could it be? im gonna replace them anyway but im wondering what to buy to replace..thanks guys :D

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,040 Posts
Are you running stock tires and wheels? If not what size tires and wheels are you running and what is the back space on your wheels? Does it have the same type engine the car came with? There is a big difference in weight between a V-8 and 6 cyclinder.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you running stock tires and wheels? If not what size tires and wheels are you running and what is the back space on your wheels? Does it have the same type engine the car came with? There is a big difference in weight between a V-8 and 6 cyclinder.
ya its a stock v-8 350, the fronts tires are 215/70/15's and the back are 245/60/15's but the noise seems to come from the front only, when i bought it the owner told me the front shocks and springs needed to be replaced, but i always thought it was the tire that was to big but ive seen and heard people with way bigger tires in the front of there nova's..what could it possibly be?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
It might be better to tell us exactly where the tires are rubbing or better yet post some pic's. Where ever the tire is rubbing will be nice and clean and shiney.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be better to tell us exactly where the tires are rubbing or better yet post some pic's. Where ever the tire is rubbing will be nice and clean and shiney.
not to sure seems to rub when the weight is shifted left to right in the front only..ill try and take some pics but where should i take the pics? get under and take shots of the springs?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Well it sounds like a combination of things. If the tire is to tall for stock suspension and if the offset is more then stock it will only ad to the problem. Now with that said, the springs are probably worn too and a weak shock/s could also be the problem allowing too much travel. To truly identify the cause a stock size tire needs to be put on the car and measure the curb height, then check to see if the shocks are in good working order, if this is all good your tire is to big or requires a different offset to clear the fender. Or you can increase the ride height with a stiffer front spring, but you'll loose the smooth ride. Remember these cars had small tires back in the day, so this is actually a common problem.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
my 78 use to rub with 14x7 camaro rally's with 225/70 tires and they rubbed but i had i6 springs and put a 350 in it, i stuck cheap spring expanders in and it did the trick for $5.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it sounds like a combination of things. If the tire is to tall for stock suspension and if the offset is more then stock it will only ad to the problem. Now with that said, the springs are probably worn too and a weak shock/s could also be the problem allowing too much travel. To truly identify the cause a stock size tire needs to be put on the car and measure the curb height, then check to see if the shocks are in good working order, if this is all good your tire is to big or requires a different offset to clear the fender. Or you can increase the ride height with a stiffer front spring, but you'll loose the smooth ride. Remember these cars had small tires back in the day, so this is actually a common problem.
mmm thats what what me and my dad thought that the tires are to big for the front and i have a feeling they are, the owner told us that the front shocks and left spring needed to be replaced , i dont have a stock wheel to try i have the same tires that it came with in the front, i only changed the back ones, the fronts are 215/70/15's i was planning on getting 195's in the front cause the front tires are really worn out

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Your front tires are almost 27 inches tall. This is your main problem. Even if you put new springs in, you will risk rubbing. You will almost certainly rub if you put a 1.5 inch drop in. Try switching your front tires to a 205/65 or 225/60-15. try to stay under 25.6 inches tall and you should be fine.

One a side note, if you're shocks haven't been changed in a long time, I'd lookd for new ones. I wouldn't mess with the springs until you get a shorter tire on it, then see if you still have problems

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your front tires are almost 27 inches tall. This is your main problem. Even if you put new springs in, you will risk rubbing. You will almost certainly rub if you put a 1.5 inch drop in. Try switching your front tires to a 205/65 or 225/60-15. try to stay under 25.6 inches tall and you should be fine.

One a side note, if you're shocks haven't been changed in a long time, I'd lookd for new ones. I wouldn't mess with the springs until you get a shorter tire on it, then see if you still have problems
wow really there that much bigger? holy crap..well what sizes between those do you think i should get? im thinking of getting some goodyears to match the back..as for the springs i believe they are still stock :eek:there pretty dam worn so thats y i was looking at new springs anyway..but thanks a lot for the help on the tires being the problem

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
wow really there that much bigger? holy crap..well what sizes between those do you think i should get? im thinking of getting some goodyears to match the back..as for the springs i believe they are still stock :eek:there pretty dam worn so thats y i was looking at new springs anyway..but thanks a lot for the help on the tires being the problem
I'm of the opinion bigger is better, but it really depends on your build and the offset of your rims. With the correct offset rims, either will work. When you start changing things up, you have to measure carefully.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm of the opinion bigger is better, but it really depends on your build and the offset of your rims. With the correct offset rims, either will work. When you start changing things up, you have to measure carefully.
i never really liked bigger tires in the front me and my dad like bigger in the back but whats offset? i have 15" rallys in the front and back so not sure how how that helps?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Offset is the measure of how far the rim sits off the center line position of the rim, the further it sticks outward the more chance of hitting the fender, so you want more back space so the rim sits deeper in the fender (less offset).

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Offset is the measure of how far the rim sits off the center line position of the rim, the further it sticks outward the more chance of hitting the fender, so you want more back space so the rim sits deeper in the fender (less offset).
ooo well im pretty sure my rallys have less offset..so the tire is the only problem now

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
You can usually find the rim size and back space stamped on the back of the rim. It only takes a few minutes to measure before you spend more money.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can usually find the rim size and back space stamped on the back of the rim. It only takes a few minutes to measure before you spend more money.
ooo so it should be stamped on the back of the rally then? only money i see that i might throw at it is new tires not only cause there to big but that there really really worn they have abour 20% thread on them and one of them has a big chunk cut out..but i still think i should replace the shocks and maybe the springs..what do you think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts