Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I was wondering what the best shock and spring setup would be for a 4th gen. The car will be drivin regularly, but I would like it to handle very well. Hopefully with a confident feel for a trackday or run through "the gap". I've looked at Koni and QA1 but I'd like to here from people instead fo the company. I've already got front lowering springs. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think i've decided on the econ coil overs from QA1 up front. and single adj. stocker stars with ST leaf springs in the rear. anyone ever use the Suspension Techniques leaf springs?

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I am using the QA1 single adjustables all the way around with the 450 in lb coil over set up in the front.

The car is not fully assembled yet so I can not comment on ride or handling. I expect with the adjustablity of the system it can be dialed in to be all I need from the car as far as handling and ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm gonna be running a small block with aluminum heads and water pump. but i also will have a 35lb. turbo with an intercooler. would you think the 450's would be good or should i go with a stiffer spring. i may also go with a lighter steering box.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks philip. is your car gonna be just a driver or will it see some track days or autox days?

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Mostly a driver with some drag strip passes on the weekends. My commute to work takes me over 2 mountain passes full of twisties, so handling is also important.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did i read correctly somewhere that 74 rear susp. was the same as 75-79 other than the mono leaf. and could i run the mono leaf on my car?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
hello

if you ask me. everytime i watch road course races on tv. all the cars bounce around every little bump they hit. that tells me there suspensions are very very stiff. there must be a reason for that. im running custom springs that are 10% over big block rate. w a small block alumimum head and water pump. i never drove it im still workin on it. (i know it will ride like a tank) but i do know this. the flatter the car stays in a turn the better it will handle. sway bars help to. but tight springs play a major part in this. the tighter the spring. the less it will compress. the less body roll you have. and also the less your center of gravity changes from left to right in turns. affecting the way your car handles. lower center of gravity helps alot also. i know this cause when i lowered my import. put stiff springs. and stiff struts in it. even w stock sway bars. the handling improved alot. ride quality suffered. but thats the price you pay for performance. high performance tires w low aspect-ratio sidewalls help to. a heavy car like this. in a sharp highspeed turn WILL roll a sidewall on a tire. affecting handling. the draw back there is shortend tire life. and risking rim damage on big pot holes. once again the race cars on tv ride solid for a reason....:salute:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks 75nova. i totally agree. i know a guy who races SCCA. his car is superstiff. i would go that route, but. i also read an article about stiff suspension, and how stiff is too stiff. they general opinion was that race car stiff was too much for the street because they can't handle the inconsistencies of normal roads. myself i don't want the car to be uncomfortable to drive, but i'd like it to be as capable as possible. thanks again for all the comments, please keep 'em comin.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
thanx

i also agree... when i bought my springs i felt like i was doing the right thing. but sometimes i start second guessing myself. i guess we will see. i should be done with the going down the road safely and reliably. in 8 to 10 months if all goes to plan.. body work costs alot and that will take awhile to save up for. she'll be ugly but hopefully. i did my motor building research. and she'll haul butt....
p.s. good thing springs are cheap hahaha:salute:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts