Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone with a 1st or 2nd gen ever hit a pot hole so hard that it pryed the shock tower from the panel and shoved the shock stud up into the hood?

Well...we had some heavy rain recently and evidently DOT forgot to fix a road near my house. Tonight I hit the pot hole so hard it pryed the shock tower and bolts up way from the panels and the stud banged the hood. Talk about pissed. Just curious to know if anyone else has ever experienced this in their 1st or 2nd gen chevy II. Suprisingly it didn't bend the wheel.

Dave (needing to vent:( )

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Never had that happen, but I did hit a pothole hard enough once (at about 50 mph) that it broke loose one of the upper control arm bushing sleeves.

It squeaked like a SOB over bumps for a few years afterwards until I tore it down and found the problem when my rebuild project started. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I ask because I wonder if my competition engineering shocks up front are incorrect for my car. I got them from a friend. He had them on his chevy II project that he never finished. But I wasn't there holding his hand when he ordered them either....You know how that goes.:rolleyes: Interesting story about the bushing sleeves though.

Needless to say...I am not a happy camper tonight.:(

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It is possible that the shocks are wrong and are too long but I really dont think there is another shock available with that combination of mounting ends.(?) Are your compression bump stops in place on the outer shock tower shell half in place?
At any rate that REALLY sucks!

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NIIN20 said:
It is possible that the shocks are wrong and are too long but I really dont think there is another shock available with that combination of mounting ends.(?) Are your compression bump stops in place on the outer shock tower shell half in place?
At any rate that REALLY sucks!
Not sure I am clear on the compression bump stops you are referring to. I have the rubber bushing on the top side of the shock tower with a concave washer, lock washer and nut.

I need to look at the engine thread and look closer at the shock position just inside the tower. this might give me a clue if my shocks were incorrect. But I must say. The pothole I hit was a block hole. :eek: I am stunned my wheel is not bent and my lower ecentric is not knocked out of place.

This is what happens when you have low profile tires and a 17X8" wheel up front on these cars.:rolleyes: I just can't imagine I am the first person this has happened to :rolleyes: unless I have the wrong shock set up.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Man Funky that stinks! I went by the show and looked for ya for a little while but no luck.

The same thing happened to my car a few years back when it was on a trailer with no motor. Ripped almost every one of the spots that hold the tower on. Sorry to hear that man,

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
NovatoriusWrecks said:
I think he's referring to the upper control arm bump stop bushing that mounts to the bottom of the spring covers. Here's a pic:

Thanks Brent for clarifying. I do not have the control arm bumper stops on the coil spring covers.:eek: Would this have prevented all of this? I guess if I look at the upper control arm I could find out. If it got scratched from the cover then that would answer this question.

Can the shock bottom out without it?<--probably a dumb question.:eek: It won't be hard at all to repair and repaint the panel where the tower mounts. But the hood is gonna need to be repaired and repainted. It basically made a tiny dimple in the hood. It's an easy fix too but I will have to pay someone to do it. Getting tired of spending money on this car.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Shock Tower?

Hey Now, FunkyNova66. The answers given are both possible. Without the stop on the outer support it is easy to have the shock tower pull the bolts out. Also if the shock housing is to long the same thing will happen. Another thing that can happen is if the coil spring guide and support for the top of the spring is missing the same thing will happen. The rubber stop can be purchased, however it is for ford mustangs etc. and takes some realignment of the stop mounting holes. The only other way is if someone on the site has one or you can find it at your local boneyard. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill's II said:
Hey Now, FunkyNova66. The answers given are both possible. Without the stop on the outer support it is easy to have the shock tower pull the bolts out. Also if the shock housing is to long the same thing will happen. Another thing that can happen is if the coil spring guide and support for the top of the spring is missing the same thing will happen. The rubber stop can be purchased, however it is for ford mustangs etc. and takes some realignment of the stop mounting holes. The only other way is if someone on the site has one or you can find it at your local boneyard. Respectfully, "Bill's" II
Thanks Bill for the feedback. One of the reasons I have not installed the rubber stop is becuase I have a clearance issue already with the outer spring cover lip. It touches the inside wheel lips so I had to trim the spring cover lip some. I am worried if I mounted the rubber stop it too would rub the inside of my wheel. My front wheel is a 17X8" with a 5" backspace. Is there another set up that eliminates the shock tower all together? I'm open for options. I plan to buy the upper and lower tubular kit from CPP too. I'm all ears.:D :D I'm tired of all this front end crap.

Dave

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
I never saw a Chevy II do that. A friend of mine did that with a 64 Fairlane; that have nearly the same front suspension setup. He hit something and shoved the shock into the hood. He was driving like an idiot at the time.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
aren't the shock towers held on with a "carriage" type bolt that slips in instead of though a hole ???

if the suspension was taken beyond it's travel capacity and something was to bind... i think that'd be the weakest point to let loose.

shame it happened Funky :(

best of luck to ya :D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
ya throw the suspension through a travel change that quick and i dunno if the stops would've helped. SLAM !!! all the weight in a hole at once ??? yer prolly lucky it wasn't worse. yeah, i'd say it's like hitting a curb as far as the shock to the system...

now if ya were like "straightaxle" Bill... ya woulda been on 2 wheels and you'd never have noticed the hole ;)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
Thanks Brent for clarifying. I do not have the control arm bumper stops on the coil spring covers.:eek: Would this have prevented all of this? I guess if I look at the upper control arm I could find out. If it got scratched from the cover then that would answer this question.

Can the shock bottom out without it?<--probably a dumb question.:eek: It won't be hard at all to repair and repaint the panel where the tower mounts. But the hood is gonna need to be repaired and repainted. It basically made a tiny dimple in the hood. It's an easy fix too but I will have to pay someone to do it. Getting tired of spending money on this car.

Dave
THANKS NovatoriusWrecks for the picture! That is exactly what I was refering to. And yes I would say that the lack of those bump stops being in place probably did let the shock bottom out causing your damage.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
we had a car come in (forget the make or model, later model car though) same thing, hit a mean pothole and bent the upper shock mount deal....at least that is the only damage you have ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts