Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Nova-dudes! :cool:

While under my 73 today, I discovered that the previous owner left me with yet another surprise. I noticed that there was only 1 rear shock and I found out why. The two bolts that bolt the shock to the body had busted off into the body, pretty much flush. Whats the best way to get these bolts out?

thanks alot!
-wes

·
6,557 Posts
You could try drilling a small hole and using an eazy out but be careful that you don't break the eazy out itself (been there, done that and it wasn't fun getting the broken eazy out, out).
If all else fails see if the shock's upper crossbar can take the next size up bolt to where you can drill out the holes and rethread them to the next size up.
You could also cut open the topside of the trunk or hatch floor above the area and see if there are any threads sticking up inside to grab and try and remove it that way.
The last resort would be to drill out the spot welds that hold the reinforcement plate into the floor and replace it with a new one or one you can fabricate out of some 1/4" thick steel plate and then weld it back into the car.

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I usually weld to the broken bolt end building it up enough to weld a bolt to that (this also is a way of doing it if you've broken a drill bit/easy out off already) Then hit it with penetrating oil while still somewhat hot (this suckes the oil into the crevases most times) and slowly work it back and forth. Take your time and it'll probably loosen up that way. If you drill it out, don't tap it oversize get a 5/16 heilcoil kit and do it that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts