Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having to remount my shocks because the caltrac mounts a little different then the traction bars I had before. I bolted up the bottom and just loosely laid the shock with the mounts against the shock bar. does this position look ok?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Is the base of the shock making contact with the tube on the rear? If not the angle seems fine to me. I was actually going to ask the same question, I was having problems with the clearance of the shocks on my Nova and I was wondering where the caltracs system relocates the rear shocks to. from the pics you provided it looks as if the shocks get mounted inboard more.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think the rule is 15 degrees max. Also keep in mind as you move them in from standing straight up and down it does take away from the shock valving.

I do have a question for the group. On his ride he has the spacer in between the rearend and the leaf springs. Is this ok to do? I have the mult leaf and want to change over but do not want to replace the mount to a single leaf.

Sorry if I hijacked your post :D

Joe

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thats close to what I have. Works great except I need a smidge more travel in the shock.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Why didnt you just put the pads on the correct side and just mount them in the stock location? , My wheels have 4.5 in offset. they were close, but still fit in there.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Why didnt you just put the pads on the correct side and just mount them in the stock location? , My wheels have 4.5 in offset. they were close, but still fit in there.
You asking me? The rims I have are 5.5 offset and the tires rubbed the shocks. So it was buy new rims or move the shocks. Plus I would like to mini tub it at some point.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Joe,
The spacer being on top of the spring or below it is fine and can be adjusted to change ride height and as long as there is no gap between the cal trac plate and the spring perch on the rearend you will be fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
ERV Jr. Please explain further your statement of shock eye clocking. TKS
you have two eyes in the shock, if you mount the shock at an angle the bolt in the eye should go from the front to back of the car. When you compress or extend the shock it will change the angle slightly depending on amount of travel. having the eyes in that direction will let the shock lean or straighten out with travel.
If the shcok is mointed straight up and down then you can run the bolt side to side.
They shock will work either way, the shock controls the rate of seperation of the rearend. Its just better to not have bind in a car if you can

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you! Mine are straight up/down vertical so no problem. However fossilrunner and ironman installations will have bind and should be changed?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im trying to mount them straight but the caltrac mount is at an angle so it makes it kinda hard to do. is there any way to solve this?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thank you! Mine are straight up/down vertical so no problem. However fossilrunner and ironman installations will have bind and should be changed?
by rotating the top to match the bottom it would avoid bind
As for problems i cant say that, but you have a rubber bushing in the top and the shock cant rotate/ piviot on the bolt, so it will side load the bushing binding it

·
Registered
769 Posts
im trying to mount them straight but the caltrac mount is at an angle so it makes it kinda hard to do. is there any way to solve this?
You can weld a bracket to the cal trac plate to mount them that way. you can weld brackets on the housing that is the way my car is. ask aron69nova he has pics of my rearend.

All this depends on what style shock eye is on top also

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You asking me? The rims I have are 5.5 offset and the tires rubbed the shocks. So it was buy new rims or move the shocks. Plus I would like to mini tub it at some point.
I have the same problem 5.5 b.s and the tires hit the shocks, I just purchased the cal-tracs hoping they will relocate the shocks to a better position so that the shocks dont make contact with the tires. I have the lakewood drag shocks any ideas?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts