Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read, and seen many pro drag cars with there rear shocks stright up, I mean not at an angle. What do you guys that race a lot think about this?
I may make me a holder of some kind to put the shocks on my 66 stright up.
I am running CE shocks, Cal-Tracs with stock mono leafs with 26X8-1/2 X15 ET Drags. Also with the tire (26in. tall) a turbo 350 trans. 2.52 first gear, and a 4.56 rear gear, do you think I have too much gear for the 1/8 mile? This car see's no street miles, just drag.
Thanks for all your responce's
Mark

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
shock angle

Rule of thumb is to try and stay straight up/ down on a drag app. As the shocks/coil overs lean they are no longer 100% .Say at 20 degrees tilt you are at 80% of there rate, same goes for the shock rate. The more the tilt the less rate Have. On a street app. the inboard tilt helps with cornering/handling.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
How much angle are they on Mark? Seems to me they are not at much angle plus aren't they staggered? One in front the other behind the axel? If you have adjustable shocks you can set them whatever way you want to work best for your application. Drag cars use them straight but they are C/Os not just a shock. RM

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping you would chime Joe, on the 66 they are in the front of the axle, at a 20* angle? from what I can tell. I was just wondering if I put them stright up will that help me? You be careful, I see the weather is BAD all around use, use causion!!!
Mark

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The storms that were dangerous went above and below us so all I got was rain. Thanks for asking. Now the shocks are at a 20 degree angle inward at the top? If you didn't have adjustable shocks and you wanted to make the shock stiffer you could make it straight and make it slightly stiffer. 20 degrees is not much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts