Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing to send my peak molding to GTL and his suggestion was to use PVC pipe. I've purchased a piece of 2" pipe, wrapped the molding with thick towels so they will not touch each other and applied a thick layer of towel in three places along the length of the molding so it'll be centered in the pipe. Put on end caps and taped them closed. This should be good to go.

So, my question is....has anyone done this before and how much trouble was it to get UPS to accept a shipping tube? I live in rural S.E. Georgia so I'll have to apply for a pickup to my wife's business address. It's a heck a lot easier for them to go there than out here in the woods where I live. Most likely cheaper also. Your thoughts?

·
6,493 Posts
Make sure the end caps are securely taped. I sent a tailgate diecast molding and when received the one cap had come off and the part was halfway out with new damage to it. I can't imagine how they were able to do it. I had put a cap on and taped it radially around the end. Next time I will run the tape horizonal and then finish with a radial wrapping of tape. Duct tape has more holding power than the clear tape you see on carboard boxes.

·
Registered
1965 Nova 2 Door Hardtop
120 Posts
I shipped a large piece of trim in a PVC pipe and I bought red electrical tape and made it look like a candy cane. I also wrapped a lot of tape on the end caps too.The bright red stands out when they load it on a fork truck and try to squeeze through a small door opening. No matter what you do there is always a chance for damage. I live 4 hours from George and I drove my trim to him and picked them up.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I ship a lot of items in PVC tubing. If it is shorter I us USPS which is cheaper. UPS if it is long. Super easy and super safe. Never had anything damaged, knock on wood:eek:.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. Got all the peak molding pieces wrapped individually and suspended inside a 2" PVC pipe with end caps. Weighted 5 lbs. Wrapped around the caps and pipe with packing tape, green masking tape and then applied duct tape long ways and then around the cap and pipe. I do not think a tornado could rip the caps off of that pipe. UPS had no problem with the package and it on the way to GTL. Now all I can do it pray it makes the round trip without being lost or damaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts