Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats involved in shipping a car from the usa to canada?On both ends...the buyer and seller?Anybody recommend a shipper?thanks bm

·
Registered
774 Posts
http://www.tfxinternational.com/

Based in Toronto. I have not personally used them but see their trucks often and they have nice equipment. I hear some companies can make you wait weeks until they have a full load so plan ahead.

·
6,498 Posts
Cost-wise, it's cheaper for the buyer to have the car sent to someplace close to the US/Canada border nearest the buyer. on the US side. The buyer can pick up the car there and import it himself. If he has to hire a company from Canada to fetch the car, then he'd have to do his homework to see if it would be cheaper to have the car sent the whole distance or to the border area then picked up by a Canadian company. Depending on where it's going and when, the weather may alter things. (ie: have the car transported in an enclosed trailer which would be an additional cost.)

I'll assume it's a car 15 years and older: You only have to provide a bill of sale. If the buyer brings the car over the border himself he has to follows the rules of RIV Canada and the rules of US customs depending on the point of entry. RIV Canada have all the info on their website and are very good to talk to for any additional questions. If a company is bring the car across the border they will look after all the paperwork.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
As stated, it's not that difficult.

The buyer must get a copy of the title faxed to the border crossing he will be using. The copy must arrive there at least 72 hours before the car is imported.

The buyer will pay any tax/duty that applies including $100 tax if the car has air conditioning.

Don't try cheating on the dollar value. Customs will check out all aspects of the transaction, and I mean ALL. It's not worth it. They will appraise the car if they don't like the dollar value and the penalties are steep if there's any hanky panky. And even if you do cheat and get away with it initially, I know of an instance where the authorities showed up at the buyer's home at a later date and it didn't go well...

When I imported my 67 Nova, I had all my paperwork nicely detailed/in order on a clip board. This included copies of all the emails, anything that related to the transaction. That made it very easy.

·
6,498 Posts
The buyer must get a copy of the title faxed to the border crossing he will be using. The copy must arrive there at least 72 hours before the car is imported.

The buyer will pay any tax/duty that applies including $100 tax if the car has air conditioning.

QUOTE]

Some border crossing in Ontario require the actual title at the US border 72 hours(minimum) in advance and we have a couple of border crossings that won't allow a car to be exported at their crossing(Niagara Falls and Fort Erie). Also be aware that crossings may be limited to their hours and days of operation. Best to check the US border crossing you want to use. It's the US customs that puts these measures in place. Correct on the $100 AC tax. The amount of tax to be paid at the Cnd. border is 5% of the value of the US amount converted to Canadian dollars. This is the federal tax. If there is a provincial tax then it will be paid at the time of registration.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Canyon V8 south of Pittsburg. Mackey transport wanted $2100 to bring it door to door ( Stoney Creek ON) and it would be a few weeks before they could pick up. Truck had to be paid for first. I drove down my self with truck and trailer and picked it up. Paid the guy there and it cost me about $200 for gas, tolls and 13 hours of my time. Go get it yourself and save a few $$$

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Canyon V8 south of Pittsburg. Mackey transport wanted $2100 to bring it door to door ( Stoney Creek ON) and it would be a few weeks before they could pick up. Truck had to be paid for first. I drove down my self with truck and trailer and picked it up. Paid the guy there and it cost me about $200 for gas, tolls and 13 hours of my time. Go get it yourself and save a few $$$
plus a roadtrip is always a good time.its a win win

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree, pick it up yourself, make sure the paperwork is in order and don't try and lie about the purchase price. I just brought a wagon with no drive train over from Montana- they ask how you found the car and will check the ad and compare asking price with sale price!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts

QUOTE]

Some border crossing in Ontario require the actual title at the US border 72 hours(minimum) in advance and we have a couple of border crossings that won't allow a car to be exported at their crossing(Niagara Falls and Fort Erie). Also be aware that crossings may be limited to their hours and days of operation. Best to check the US border crossing you want to use. It's the US customs that puts these measures in place. Correct on the $100 AC tax. The amount of tax to be paid at the Cnd. border is 5% of the value of the US amount converted to Canadian dollars. This is the federal tax. If there is a provincial tax then it will be paid at the time of registration.
Hmm, that is interesting about the title. I've imported 3 cars, all through the same crossing 25 miles from here and a copy was always fine. I guess it's a matter of interpretation by the crossing staff.

One thing I did each time was to call the border about 1/2 hour after the title was faxed to them to confirm they got it. I recorded the name of the confirming employee in my notes in case there was any argument that it was never faxed when I arrived there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
the crossing in eastern ontario wants the original title, all the rest need just a copy sent. The Lewiston crossing you can email a copy of the title and they send you a confirmation back that they received it. They ask you bring a copy of the confirmation and the original title when bringing the car back.

·
Registered
914 Posts
This is who I used and would use them again.

http://kiwiskarriers.com/

It's a bit of a leap of faith for the buyer since the seller obviously wants to be paid in full before his car goes on a trailer. There's no work for the seller at all short of providing the buyer with a title for the car and being there when the car is picked up. All the 72 hour stuff is up to the buyer but he does need the title. I had the car dropped off to me in a strip mall on the U.S. side that had a motor vehicle licence office, bought a temporary permit and drove it through both U.S. and Canada customs myself.

I would suggest to the buyer to get an enclosed trailer. If the car is traveling a long distance or crossing the border, it may sit in a transfer yard out in the open for the world to see. Ask the carrier for a route itinerary.

·
13,991 Posts
Also, if you're shipping to the northern States or Canada at this time of year, be sure the car is adequately winterized IE: sufficient anti freeze. I shipped a car from SW B.C. in February when it was 15 degrees above freezing. The destination was 25 degrees below freezing:eek:. Fortunately, I remembered to check the anti freeze, because I had to add to it.

Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts