Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I use to shim the back door hinges to the rear of the car? passenger back door is so bad I can almost put a finger between the aft body seam at the door.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
:pics::pics::pics: I'm not sure what you talking about. if you have some pics I might be able to help:yes: anything can be fixed

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
is this a 4 door? do you need to move the door back toward the quarter or in more? (looking like it's not closed all the way) that would be a striker adjustment.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
oh, I see its a wagon. baisicly you loosen the mounting bolts and pull it on back. but this will open the gap between the front and rear door. so you will have to do the same on the front door then move the fender back too. if your maxed out in adjustment you will have to split the difference between them all

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the problem

I do need to move the door TOWARDS the quarter. does the door "float" on the door side of the hinge? I need to add some space between the front and rear door anyways. So once I pull the rear door back I should be good. Also, any idea on a good tool to loosen those screws? looks like about a number 5 or 6 phillips

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
yes,if you loosen the 6 bolts on the hinge-body,you can get about 1/4" of movement out of the bottom hinge.the top hinge you will have to shim though.most of the aftermarket companies sell a shim kit for the doors but they are expensive.you can go to home depot and get some 16/18 gauge metal and make some or use an aluminum can.i used some starter shims i had and just cut them down .
i would suggest getting a phillips that goes on a ratchet,of even better,on an impact gun.i broke 2 screw drivers trying to get mine loosen.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Adam,

Here is what I made:

I have some extra, pm your address and I'll ship them up to you. There made out of 14 ga (.074") it's what we had laying around the shop at the time.

Bob

·
Registered
681 Posts
i would suggest getting a phillips that goes on a ratchet,of even better,on an impact gun.i broke 2 screw drivers trying to get mine loosen.

Better yet... a 3/8" or 1/2" speed handle with a #5 bit. You can then use your weight and really keep the pressure on the screw 'gently'. I broke 1 bit, but all the screws came out without damage.

DW

·
Registered
491 Posts
hinge pins

Napa sells the hinge pins and bushings.They are also on on Ebay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts