Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a quick question for you. My Nova doesn't have a needle in the console to show which gear I'm shifting into (It hasn't been there since I pulled the car out to restore it back in mid-2006, so I assume it broke off sometime before that). It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is a pain sometimes.

Just wondering where I could get a new one and if it would be a very tough job to replace it.

-Nate

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Hi Nate,

I believe 73 came stock with the auto trans indicator in the dash for both column and floor shift. Floor shift cars use a "backdrive" linkage that rotates the lower steering column jacket (just like with a column shift). That arrangement allows for the use of the same in-dash shift indicator and neutral safety / backup light switch for both column & floor shift. And it also allows the shifter to be locked in park when the ignition switch is turned to the lock position.

If your car still has the backdrive linkage hooked up and still has the in-dash shift indicator, take a look at the little cable that connects the lower column jacket to the indicator needle. They can wear out and break off after years of use. That often allows the return spring on the indicator needle to pull it back farther than normal and out of view.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry just had to laugh

Hey guys, I got a quick question for you. My Nova doesn't have a needle in the console to show which gear I'm shifting into (It hasn't been there since I pulled the car out to restore it back in mid-2006, so I assume it broke off sometime before that). It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is a pain sometimes.

Just wondering where I could get a new one and if it would be a very tough job to replace it.

-Nate
While putting my dash back together just today, in fact, my shift position indicator needle was accidently broken off. Luckily I had the gage cluster from another dash still in my trunk, however the needle on it was also broken off so I took the speed indicator needle off the spare gages and modified it slightly and it worked out great.....
And it was a bit of a tedious job but not difficult.
Also the laugh was with ya, not at ya......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts