Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point in its life, someone converted my car from bench seats/column shift to bucket seats/floor shift. It looks cool because the shifter they installed looks like a four speed shifter. The issues that I have are:

1. There is no neutral safety switch, so the car starts when it is in gear. How should I go about installing a neutral safety switch on it? I am not sure what brand of shifter it is, but there was a B&M sticker on the deck lid when I bought the car.

2. The pattern of the shift is reversed. Instead of park being all the way forward, it is all the way back. To shift into gear, I have to go towards the dash instead of back towards the seats. The car has a 350ci engine with TH350 tranny. What do I need to do to correct this?

3. I do not think the reverse lights are working, but have to double check. Also, the old column shift base is still hooked up, because once it would not start and it about drove me crazy until I realized that the column shift had been moved into reverse. Any suggestions as to how I can get everything hooked up and working correctly?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Is this shifter designed to work backwards? When it's in park do you have to lift a T handle or flip a lever to get it out of Park or is it some jury rigged deal? If it's rigged I'd just buy the right shifter. If it was made this way and has the right detents to work, I have never seen one work backwards and have no idea what it is. RM

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know

I do not know what brand the shifter is. It just looks like a four speed shifter. I got under the car the other day to look at the linkage and it appears to be just a bar between the transmission and the shifter, so it makes sense that if you push up on the top of the shifter, the bottom of it moves backwards. This pulling is what moves the transmission into and out of the different gears. It looks like the link between the shifter and the tranny is welded to the spot where the column linkage connected to the tranny before. There are no detents on the shifter at all. In fact, it kind of feels like a four speed. There is a lot of loose play in it. I think I am going to just replace it with a good quality shifter, but I kinda liked the four speed look.

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I strongly suggest you get a shifter with a detent system to lock it in park plus it will have a reverse lock out of some type even if it's just a detent. It will also have a neutral safety switch. If you just have to have this shifter you can correct the shift pattern by changing the direction the lever moves. If the lever on the trans is above the shaft then add one to make it go below the shaft or vise versa. That will make it shift like it should. Best of luck. RM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts