Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a th350 from a local junk yard. My budget is tight and this will get the car going. I have a GMPP 350/290hp motor. I am eventually going to upgrade components on the motor and hopefully see 350-400hp. How far does anyone think this tranny will get me? Will a shift kit or anyother mods make this transmission fit my needs?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The biggest problem is getting one thats not worn out. Assuming you get one thats not worn out a transgo shift kit would be a good choice and it should live fine behind that amount of power.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Change the filter and fill it with TYPE F fuid, this will stop normal slipping and firm your shifts, will increase trans life, i do recommend getting a new convertor also, even a cheap stock replacement, trans should last a while if you do this, a mild shift kit would also be good. Ive done this to a few trans and it works.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I have a Trans-Go Shift kit th350 1&2 and polished alum pan for $80.00 plus shipping If interested, just PM me.

Sorry forgot to add, both are new.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the info. What would be a good converter to buy for this? I see some that say they are stock replacement and they are around $100. What stall speed should I get? I would rather spend a little more now and get the one I need. unfortunately I do not know the specs on my rear end. I do not think it is stock Nove and the numbers are hard to read...Is there any other way to tell what rear end I have? Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the transmission today. There is a chip in the top of the bellhousing. it is about 3 inches long and about one inch into the bell. Will this be a major proble? I think that I may rebuild it if it will be useable. I have never worked on a transmission and will have to figure out what parts I need to rebuild. Does anyone know of a rebuild kit that has everything? It seems like there is a big price difference. There is a kit on Oregonperformance.com that looks pretty good:

69-79 TH350 Transmission Master Rebuild Kit
Price: $86.55
69-79 TH-350 Transmission Master Rebuild Kit. These kits include all Borg Warner clutches, a full Transtec gasket & seal kit, band, filter, front & rear bushings, and a vacuum modulator when applicable.

Does this kit seem to be complete?
I will probably need a converter as well. The transmission came with one but I know nothing about it.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
As far as the chip your talking about, ask how it got there and why. maybe an exploeding flex plate, tourqe converter, if so you might want to shy away from that trans. Th350 are a dime a dozen. plus if the chip is a mounting bolt hole, you kinda need those:devil:.
As far as the kit you are looking at is a rebuild kit. The kit im offering is a shift kit for trans being upgraded for a better shift. Not a rebuild kit. Only to be used on a trans in good working order or in the process of being rebuilt.
Hope this helps. Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts