Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after hearing some nice grinding noises from the original peg-leg 10-bolt in my '71 Nova, I figured the time was right to fix it. I always knew the car had a good "economy" pinion gear, but I had at least expected a 3.08.

NOPE! After pulling it all apart, my car originally came with a 2.56 gear, which means that I can't put in that 3.42 I wanted without also changing the carrier. So, I guess it's going back stock. :(

I always thought that the 2.56's came in the disco-era Novas, when the gas crunch was really in effect...certainly never expected to see such a tall gear in my '71. Guess she'll be back on the road soon enough. Oh well, I still get about 9 mpg even with that "economy" gear. :D It'll be good just to drive it again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
goldie_71 said:
Well, after hearing some nice grinding noises from the original peg-leg 10-bolt in my '71 Nova, I figured the time was right to fix it. I always knew the car had a good "economy" pinion gear, but I had at least expected a 3.08.

NOPE! After pulling it all apart, my car originally came with a 2.56 gear, which means that I can't put in that 3.42 I wanted without also changing the carrier. So, I guess it's going back stock. :(

I always thought that the 2.56's came in the disco-era Novas, when the gas crunch was really in effect...certainly never expected to see such a tall gear in my '71. Guess she'll be back on the road soon enough. Oh well, I still get about 9 mpg even with that "economy" gear. :D It'll be good just to drive it again.
Man I was just as surprised as you when I found out I had the 2.56's in my 71' as well. I found out thru some reserach online tho. Do yourself a huge favor and ditch the 2.56's and go with an EATON LSD and a set of 3.55's or so. That's what I upgraded to on mine and it is really the perfect ratio IMO. Great all around driveabilty/performance, and is a far cry from the rediculously geared stock setup.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would, but I really can't see spending that kind of money on the car. Like I said, it already gets around 9 mpg with the 2.56's. I hardly ever drive it because it costs so much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts