Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so Im getting closer to geting the nerve to cut and patch a couple things on the 63. What thickness is the sheet metal you guys are using? I have some sheet metal in the back and was thinking of using it if its ok. It would be for the roof section near the front on the rain channel.

thank you, cesar.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how thick is 18 gauge. i dont know the gauge size on the stuff I have laying around but I can measure it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the stuff I found outback looks like some galvinized steel sheet metal. Its coated with some gray paint.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dumb question here but please school me here. I have to do a small patch repair on the roof drivers side were the roof rolls down to the drip rail. What is the best way to shape the patch skin to take some of the contour or the roof?

thanks,cesar.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Can you post a pic of thr spot or how big 1" x 1/2" ect. I have cut out a section before a little bigger than the repair (just enough to get a feel for the contour) and just start working the new piece. I start off with a piece of sheetmetal a lot bigger than the repair. This makes it easier to bend and shape it. I use hammers, plyers, size 11 boots anything to work it. Once the contours close I cut it the same size using the old piece as a template. Im not a body man so there may be better ways. I cant afford a body man so I spend time on things like this. The hard part is welding it with out burn through or warpage.

·
Registered
566 Posts
YOu can use the galvanized, but a lot of folks will tell you you can't.

Here is the deal.. you'll need to grind the zinc coating ( galvanization ) off the edges, then you can weld it ok.

If you don't grind it off, you have two problems: first, if you breathe the resultant vapors during welding, you'll get toxic metal poisoning, not good. You can bet past that by welding in a well-ventilated environment with a light fan breeze.

second, the zinc gets into the weld, and gives you a structurally weak weld, again not good.

BUT.. as mentioned, if you grind the zinc off you can use it just fine.

As for shaping metal.. beat it with a hammer. Use whatever is handy to help shape it. A piece of pipe, a 2X4, another hammer, whatever.

Get yourself a basic hammer and dolly set, they can be had for under $20. Metal shaping with hammer and dolly takes practice, but it isn't hard.

If you're really intrested, you can get a hammer forming video from Summit or Eastwood, and you'll learn a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts