Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I just bought a new starter and it aint workin. It came with shims and a little rod that I have no idea what its for. well the motor wont turn over and the lights wont turn on either so I thought I had a dead battery but its only drawing like two or three amps from the battery charger. It engaged a few times but got stuck on the flywheel and never turned over i just cant figure this out im am completley stumped any help would be GREATLY apreciated

Justin

·
Registered
32 Posts
is there a ground from the chassie to the motor, battery grounded to the block and chassie? Don't know your set up battery in the trunk or the motor compartment?

·
Registered
475 Posts
You should have at least 3 grounds........one from the battery to the block, one from block to firewall and one from body to frame. If you dont then you are going o have electrical problems eventually.
Are you sure that everything is connected properly? The lights should still burn even if the only ground you have is from battery to block.
sounds like either a bad wire or something isnt properly connected.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Are you getting full power to the starter when the key is on the ON position? If not, then you need to backtrack your electrical system. If yes, the you either have a shimming/binding issue with the starter or you timing is so far off the motor that it's binding the starter (but you will still get an attempt from the starter).

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Rebuilt starters often have "reclaimed" housings that needed to be machined.
This means they often don't fit right and have to be shimmed. This why they include the shims.
The little rod is for measuring ring gear to starter gear clearance. You can use a paper clip also. The rod should fit between the V or "root" of the ring gear and the peak of the starter tooth. The shims go between the starter and the block. If the gear mesh is too tight it will bind.
I shouldn't have to emphasis not to do this with the battery hooked up.

90% Starting/charging problems originate from bad connections. More than a few times I've seen people who diagnose problems by changing parts overlook bad connections and buy alternators, starters and batteries only to find it was corroded terminal ends. As stated you MUST have good grounds.
Be very careful when tightening the solenoid terminals. You don't want them to break, or short out.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I also would look at the ground wire be sure they are all good. I thought I had a good ground before and was having starter problems, finally after a week of screwing around I found out my engine was grounded, but just not good enough, so I grounded it directly to the alternator bracket, then ran a second ground battery cable to from the alternator bracket to teh drivers side head.

Are any idiot lights on in your car even after you take the key out? If you have a small short to you engine block, Your regulator relay will trip when you turn the key and keep it engaged even after you take your key out becuase it is getting a small amount of juice through the short.

I also bought shims and fussed with starter alignment during my fiasco, but it wasn't that! Just my story

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all mike you shouldnt have to put emphasis on doing this with the battery hooked up I would hope thats comon sense lol (but thanks anyways) .Alright well Im back and I have more to this awesome story haha. Its engaged a few times but it always binds when it does engage so the remedy would be to use the shims but its still binding so......more shims? also how do you get the little gear up to the flywheel to use that little rod? As for the engaging issues I should check the grounds? (will do) but no no lights are on when the key is out. How much can you shim the starter cuz I want to make sure thers enuogh threads to hold that bad boy in ther well thanks for all the responses

Justin (chekin grounds tomorow

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Found It

I FOUND THE PROBLEM my battery had 12 volts but no amps. so it was the battery in disguise I guess well thanks for all the responses guys

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
mr bowtie said:
First of all mike you shouldnt have to put emphasis on doing this with the battery hooked up I would hope thats comon sense lol (but thanks anyways) .

Justin
Well, my name isn't Mike so I guess you're not attentive to details as you think.
I know how offended macho men get about safety warnings but I know first hand about how quick and easy a finger can get snapped off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well paul I now officialy feel like an *** and a dumb *** sorry for screwin up youre name and I came off as an *** well sorry about that too. What I meant was that you shouldnt have to tell people that they should know better but I was sayin thanks for warning me anyways

well sorry again Justin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts