Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all the good info on this site, and people :yes:, the 454 fired right up as soon as the key turned. I set it at 10* BTDC and tried to get the rotor as close to the #1 terminal as I could (hard to eyeball).

Sounded pretty good, no leaks from the exhaust......yet. I do have a problem though. I get a tapping sound from the passengers side, and she starts to smoke a decent amount from the same side. I am guessing exhaust leak from the new header gaskets (Fel-Pro Performance Z1412) and that might be causing the leak and tapping sound, but will pull the valve covers to be sure that none of the roller rockers are loose.

BUT...I DID SAY BUT, I have a few questions I could use help with.

#1. Just to get an idea what to look for, what else would cause the smoking? Drivers side did not seem to do it. I only let it run for a few minutes as gas is real low, and my eyes were burning from it running either way too rich (hope it is that) or burning anti-freeze (hope not that).

#2. I need to buy a timing light, but have heard the dial back lights have problems with the MSD 6AL boxes, is that correct? Should I just buy the regular timing light?

#3. I have no idea what timing to set this motor at. 454, around 10.5:1 compression, unknown hydrolic cam, super comp headers, holley 780 with ed. air gap intake.

#4. It has a Mallory Unilite distributor with no vacuum advance. I have seen topics on here that mention how to time your motor with an HEI, but not with a distributor without vacuum advance. Any articles or tips?

I think that is all for now.......for now :rolleyes:

thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Boy I wished I could help..But I'm not very knowledgable with bb's...But the smoking would seem to be rings...or maybe head gasket...Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear ...Good luck..

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
is the smoking coming out the tail pipe if so she maybe burning oil :no: if its burning off the header or around the exhaust you may have spilt some oil or from greasy hand prints or a leaky valve cover gasket there are number of things i run a dial back light on my 6al and have no issues whats so ever is my light the best light prolly not but it works for me. as for timing i would set it at 36 degrees total at 3000 rpms i need more info on your cam and all that good stuff to give you with a mechanical advanced disributer you dont need to worry about vacume advance anymore.

www.msdignition.com

·
3,863 Posts
OK Bill, how long have you had the orange beast now????:D

I know that BB's like more initial timing than small blocks. Even up to 18*. I would put a degreed balancer on it and not worry about the dial back. Total timing is probably good at 36* though. The timing curve is what you want to figure out.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Bill, how long have you had the orange beast now????:D

I know that BB's like more initial timing than small blocks. Even up to 18*. I would put a degreed balancer on it and not worry about the dial back. Total timing is probably good at 36* though. The timing curve is what you want to figure out.
If you ever came up for our fair and visited, you would know :D I got it after the blue mini-tubbed 69.

Smoke is coming from around the header area, nothing out the exhaust pipes yet. I might cheat and get the tape for the balancer and use that as the balancer looks to be in great shape.

I wish I knew my cam, but bought the motor pretty close to what it is now and have not taken off the timing cover to get any numbers off of it. :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice looking car. I love the COPO look. Are those factory offset 14 inch wheels? Just curious.

It sounds like you're just burning something off the headers. I'd look for a valve cover leak. Hofefully just a leaking header gasket is your ticking. Is this a new flat tappet cam? Did you follow the standard breakin guidelines?

Like someone said, 18 initial and 36 total is a pretty safe bet, although I've had BB's like as much as 40 total. Good luck with the car.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, they are 15x7's. 275's in back. :D I always have loved the dog dish wheels, just took me a few years to actually sandblast and paint them :rolleyes:

I looked at the headers, and something had spilled on them, so it might be burning it off, as it does not smoke right away, it takes a minute or two before it starts.

Same cam, but had to adjust the rockers due to changing head gaskets, so no break in needed :D I will check the rockers tomorrow and see if anything is loose, that and the header bolts.

thanks guys

·
3,863 Posts
If you ever came up for our fair and visited, you would know :D I got it after the blue mini-tubbed 69.(
I liked the blue one.:yes: I was giving you grief 'cause you've had the orange one for awhile now and you just getting around to firing it up.

Haven't been up for the fair for several years.:( I was just up there in Feb, but for my sister-in-law's funeral in ND so my time in the Twin Cities was very short. Got to see my first blizzard in 15 years though, but had to drive through it so that sucked.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I liked the blue one.:yes: I was giving you grief 'cause you've had the orange one for awhile now and you just getting around to firing it up.

Haven't been up for the fair for several years.:( I was just up there in Feb, but for my sister-in-law's funeral in ND so my time in the Twin Cities was very short. Got to see my first blizzard in 15 years though, but had to drive through it so that sucked.
Just firing it up after tearing it apart after finding anti-freeze in my exhaust this spring. Have been driving it (very little though) for the last couple of years.

Blizzards suck :bored:

State fair is only a couple of months away, can always come up and take a ride in the orange one....... assuming I don't break it again :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts