Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only 5 weeks and 97 bucks into a basic tune-up, my $400 '71 more-door is running! I have to bleed the brakes (hoping that's the only issue with them after sitting 15 years in a barn) and get new tires so she can be my new DD. No pics to post since I'm at work now, but I'll be sure to add some ASAP.

Sent from my VS840 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
295 Posts
Congratulation. May want to flush the brake not just bleed. just my $.02.
Going to try to turn mine over this weekend for the first time.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Wish my car only needed 97 bucks to be finished!:(
I feel your pain!!:eek:

I need to add a couple of zeroes at the end of that number to get it complete..:cool:

What did you buy to get it running for $97? ( I know that I'll sound like a noob for asking but I need to ) Did you replace all the other fluids as well? If that car has been sitting for 15+ yrs, that stuff must have come out looking like maple syrup:eek:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Congratulation. May want to flush the brake not just bleed. just my $.02.
Going to try to turn mine over this weekend for the first time.
Its magic! $97?? The price is def right!!!

I agree with linthicum, but I would take it a step further and drain and replace all the fluids, oil (obviously), brakes, trans, rear, ps if equipped. Maybe you already did this but if not this will tell you whats going on inside of the car. You never know your rear end can have chunks of gear teeth the size of quarters floating around inside:eek:

Very unlikely, but wouldnt you feel silly if it did? Either way congrads on the good news! Always good to see another one back on the road!

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Check brake lines

After only 5 weeks and 97 bucks into a basic tune-up, my $400 '71 more-door is running! I have to bleed the brakes (hoping that's the only issue with them after sitting 15 years in a barn) and get new tires so she can be my new DD. No pics to post since I'm at work now, but I'll be sure to add some ASAP.

For rusting, as well as keep an eye on the wheel cylinders..

Awesome deal man

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol. Did I say finished? This is just to get it on the road and off my friend's property. :p

I purchased spark plugs, oil + filter, PS fluid, brake fluid, distributor cap, points, and battery cables.

I will flush the brake lines too (thanks for the advice, I'm pretty new to working on cars). since they were bone dry, I'll probably just get a ton of rust. They may be junk altogether. I had not yet thought to check the rear end fluid, but I checked tranny. Thanks.

Anything else I missed? I don't want to get it in the road after overlooking some other potential major issue.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Lol. Did I say finished? This is just to get it on the road and off my friend's property. :p

I purchased spark plugs, oil + filter, PS fluid, brake fluid, distributor cap, points, and battery cables.

I will flush the brake lines too (thanks for the advice, I'm pretty new to working on cars). since they were bone dry, I'll probably just get a ton of rust. They may be junk altogether. I had not yet thought to check the rear end fluid, but I checked tranny. Thanks.

Anything else I missed? I don't want to get it in the road after overlooking some other potential major issue.

Haha we get jumpy sometimes! Well, main thing you already covered. brakes! If it stops, thats the biggie. If the motor blows who really cares. Maybe take a gander at the suspension to see if nothing is about ready to fall off. There should be play in the steering wheel thats normal for an old car.

And as far as the diff, Im sure youll be fine to drive it home. Honestly, I was just trying to be thorough and help you out, but Id be lying if I said I checked my diff ONCE in the whole time I have had the car, although mine was a daily driver prior to my ownership.

If you are new to working on cars log in often and:
:attention:

I myself am pretty good with cars, but there is a knowledge base here that makes me look like a dummy! We are all here to help though so enjoy your new toy! Lets see her!! Got any pics?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Wish my car only needed 97 bucks to be finished!:(
B y the time he gets rid of all rust in everthing that hold liquid the price tag 2,997. Hopefully not but the gas tank and braking system are going to be rusted after sitting 15 years. And the engine rings seized. I hope not but the possiblitys are there. RICK

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
B y the time he gets rid of all rust in everthing that hold liquid the price tag 2,997. Hopefully not but the gas tank and braking system are going to be rusted after sitting 15 years. And the engine rings seized. I hope not but the possiblitys are there. RICK
Way to stay positive Rick!:yes:
HAHA! Rain all over the poor guys parade!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm making a checklist for the next time I head out to work on it.

So today I let it sit and idle for about 10 minutes just to let it get back into the feel of running. I have found that the rear brake lines are both rusted through (of course). I didn't even check the front because I have decided to just convert to disc brakes before I drive it. I hope to get that under way within the next week.

Here's my latest pic for those who were curious. I know it's in quite poor condition, but remember it only cost $400. That price included a pair of non-rusted front doors.

Feel free to keep suggestions coming. I'm 19 and nearly a complete beginner to working on my own vehicles; I would really hate to miss one silly little thing because I was in a hurry to drive it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts