Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
l bought this 63 from a guy in Kentucky, breaking the "don't buy a primeried car" rule! It was purchased in 2015 with plans for mini tubs, 25.3 chassis and either an LS or a big inch BBC with twins. Didn't give much for it, got clear title, ok glass, inner rockers, roof and that is about it. The car has been in chassis jail since early 2016, work has been done but slowly, ticipical shop be. I had a fire just after dropping it at the shop so for the first couple of years I was ok with no work being done. My goal is to one day cruise Route 66 from Chi town to Cali in this 63! Will post picks as I dig them up.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Fender

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
63 SS
1,157 Posts
Cool plans to cruise Route 66. Looks like you have the skills to have this puppy assembled in no time. Are you keeping it caged?

Never heard of the "don't buy a primered car" rule! but it makes sense :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really have the skills or tools to build the car to the level I want for this one. It is in a shop for the 25.3 chassis. Letting him do more of the work than I had planned on when I dropped it off.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Was this car at LS fest by chance? The car and owners name sound familiar?

Either way love the project!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
yep, easy for times lines to dissolve, and budget limits - just keep an eye on it and communicate regularly with builder

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,229 Posts
Can you explain the 25.3 chassis..?
I was wondering the same thing myself. I wouldn't have the patience to wait that long on a chassis upgrade and would think twice before I let that shop have it back. Sorry to hear about your fire. Glad the Nova didn't go up with it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 25.3 is an SFI certification. It was designed for heaver "door" cars running sanctioned events and mostly differs from the other certs by addressing the rear bars and oem frame rails. SFI book details bar size, placement, thickness, gussets, weld types and even excepted procedures for updating tubing. A 25.3 cert requires chrome moly and all welds are tig welded. At 3,600 lbs a 25.3 cert can run 6.50 in the 1/4 mile. My car doesn't weigh 3600 nor will it run 6.50's, not yet anyway! There are certs for 25.5, 25.2, 25.1 and 25.3. All of this means nothing to a street car except it ups the value and the safety of the car and it holds the chassis builder and the certifier accountable.
Yes the car was at LS Fest for shakedown and is now apart for powder coating. I will also be participating in Tom Baileys Sick Week that starts February 6th.
I wanted to start this build thread to show where I started and where I am now. So much time has passed Im having trouble finding the old pictures. I think they are on a computer that crashed a couple years ago.
A list off the top of my head 25.3 chassis, Smith Racecraft front end non power steering, FTI powerglide, PTC converter, carbon fiber driveshaft, Fab 9 housing with Strange 40 spline gun drilled axles on Weld wheels front and rear, skinnies up front 315's on the back and 275 for events that don't allow the 315's. Fourteen volt for power, adjustable alternator, Lease eletronics, Holey Dominator ECU, IDIDIT tilt with oem steering wheel. Holey low ram with 16 injectors, 8 for pump gas and 8 for alcky. Ricks tanks in stock location, alcky tank, ice tank for the Sheerer Fab inner cooler and an air compressor are in the trunk. Vintage air and PRP seats. I'll get some more pictures as I find them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I thought that was the car! I won't spoil it for everyone but they will love it when they see it. I absolutely LOVE your car. Good for you I hope you enjoy it! So sorry to hear about the fire that is horrible. Thanks for sharing it with us here. It truly is a sweet build. Also I sent you a PM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts