Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone shaved their doors yet? I know the kits are a couple hundred bucks and they look pretty neat, but how hard are they to keep working?

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I have shaved door handles on my '67. I dont use a kit, I just leave the wing window unlocked and reach through to get in.
At the track I have bright yellow nylon cord attached to the inside door handles. They hang out the wing windows so that track personal can open the door from the outside incase of an emergency.
I believe the rules state that door handles are not required,but track personal must be able to open the door from the outside.
Brandon

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Im set up as novas4life is. But my father-in-law has the autoloc setup.
Honestly he is messing with it almost every weekend. Which is the reason I just use the wing window. Yea its ghetto, but it never fails.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the autolock kit and it works great havnt had any problems yet

my friend has had shaved door handles in his 78 show truck for about 10 years now and no problems

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I used Autolock for my remote entry(I fabbed locks) and have had no problems. Shaved handles are actually very simple with the autolock setup. The selenoid mounts on the crash bar inside the door, and pulls on the lock mechanism. Add simple poppers on the door jamb, and walaa you have it ready to take the handles off and weld in some patch panels.

Jack

·
6,499 Posts
I shaved the handles on the 65 and my Xtreme is shaved as well. I used trunk openers on the 65 with no problems. I used a Dakota Digital 9 function remote to open the doors and raise and lower the air suspension. I also had/have a mechanical way of getting into the vehicles. If the battery went dead, fuse blew, etc... you have no way of easily getting into the car. I used 1/16" aircraft cable and attached it to the door mechanism. The cable ran through a drainage hole (with shrink tubing on it to protect the paint) then forward into the wheel well. To open the door a steady pull of around 15 pounds pressure and the door opens. I have a similar system on the Xtreme but in addition I have a proximeter switch mounted and a micro switch(just playing around). Place any metal within .075" of the prox. switch or silde a credit card in a certain spot and the door opens.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've used s10 blazer rear window solenoids since they are plentiful in the boneyards... I have a pair of 'em waiting to be put on the nova.
As for mechanical -on my GMC - I had Chevy Beretta mirrors on it -I made knobs out of stainless allen head bolts that hung out the bottom of each mirror (tou can kinda see them here http://community.webshots.com/photo/104210593/1420488734043358895nKKXuj ) -I used bicycle brake cables to conect them to the latches -reach under the mirror -pull knob... I'm trying to come up with somethin' similar for the 64.

HTH

BTW -when it comes to poppers -sun spec makes the nicest (smallest) billet poppers I've seen yet! I bought mine at a swap meet from Queens Street Rods -they go to alot of shows on the east coast...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts