Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i've talked to him since this and i no longer think he's up to something shady. i think he just acts strange.

not sure if this is where to post this, but i have my 65 nova posted on craigs list and this guy emailed me with his phone number, i called him and he came to look at the car.

he told me he was looking at a impala that night also and he'd call if he wanted the nova or not.

so of course i search for impalas on craigslist and didn't see any in the price range he said. :confused:
he was acting weird when he was looking at my car so the next thing i did was search craigslist for his phone number.

he has 4 listings, one of them is a 65 nova :confused:
he called me the next day and said he didn't want the car, but asked if i'd sell the grill to him. :no: no i won't...
so i have a few other things on craigslist (cleaning my garage) he emails me about my powerglide tranny and it says this
can you please contact me at (760) ***-**** rick I will give an offer, since you need money. At least that's your needs in your add. Will see how bad you need this money. O and don't feel ofended by this words. thanks--- rick
ok so i send him an email back saying that i'm the same guy selling the 65 nova that he came and looked at. make me an offer on the tranny through email, please don't call me.

if you search his phone number on craigslist it comes back with 4 ads, with 3 different names.
i had a "buddy" look for info on the phone number and it's a landline in el centro, ca. just over an hour drive to my house, it took him 30 mins to get to my place when he looked at my car.

i could tell he wasn't really interested in the car, he was looking around my back yard, looking at the windows and my security lights in the back and front of the house.
just acting really shady.

my wife is gonna call about his nova tomorrow from a pay phone to see if we can "look at his car" just so we have his address in case something happens.

he hasn't replied to my email about the tranny, it's been 5 hours since he sent it.

also i searched his email address and there was no hits on it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
move the car to relatives house or something. Guy might of been stacking your house to barrow your car and part it.:mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Man that sounds shady. Be careful tough times can lead to extreme actions. Like car jacking. Who knows maybe he was scoping your car like they did in Gone In 60 Seconds.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I doubt too much he's worried about the car. I've heard about people stopping by from Craigslist ads and then later breaking into the house/garage for tools, TVs, etc.

If it were me, I'd be extremely vigilent over the next few months.

Do you have an alarm on the house and garage?

I would keep trying to find out as much info on this idiot as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I doubt too much he's worried about the car. I've heard about people stopping by from Craigslist ads and then later breaking into the house/garage for tools, TVs, etc.

If it were me, I'd be extremely vigilent over the next few months.

Do you have an alarm on the house and garage?

I would keep trying to find out as much info on this idiot as possible.
I agree with this. Give a discription of the car and him to your neighbours. If you do not have an alrm system get one. I recommend having a monitored system to everyone. When we first built our house(19 year ago) there were a lot of break ins in the neighbourhood. We installed a system then and have been paying a monthly fee since. I also have a smoke detector that is monitored.
With an alrm system that is monitored if you have a break in they won't be there very long, when you and/or your family come home you/they will know wheter or not someone has been (or worse still is) ion your house.
You should also recieve some saving on you insurance premiums as well.
Long winded I know but I think it is worth the preaching:yes:

·
Registered
931 Posts
protect

Call him back and let him know you decided to let your big ***** dog live in the car. This is what ruins it for the honest guy.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Or call him back and ask if he has any guns to trade. Because your a gun collector and rank top in your class for pistols.. :D

I not only have an alarm but some guns too, my 357 is always near by..

·
Registered
810 Posts
Crazy thing is I was selling an oil pan and few other things on craigslist and I had a guy call and ask about the part $35.00 used racing pan that has been repaired.

Well he asks where I lived and I gave cross roads not my address. He say can't come there to close to the county line. He then tells me he has an ankle bracelet on and cannot go that close to the county line.:eek:

We meet at the mall… he bought the pan :devil::D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
WOW! That's just annoying. If you could prove intent to do something illegal that might be enough to file some sort of police report. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Or call him back and ask if he has any guns to trade. Because your a gun collector and rank top in your class for pistols.. :D

I not only have an alarm but some guns too, my 357 is always near by..
Must be a NY thing. My sawd off (Legal)12 ga is always loaded under the bed with 5 rounds of Double 00 in her. If you enter my house unwelcome you will leave backwards. I can fix the sheetrock later. :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we are keeping our dog outside for a while, our dog is not a killer, but he will wake us up if anyone is around.

i'm not really worried about him taking the car, it's a tight fit to get it out of there. it's in the back yard right now and would probably take a good hour to get it out.

little worried about him breaking into the house, we have alarms on all the doors and windows. it isn't a security company, just a loud *** siren that will wake us up. if the dog is inside it will wake him up too.

i posted this on a local car forum and one of the members pm'd me and said he saw one of the guys ads selling wheels. he called him and the guy was acting strange, so he didn't buy the wheels.

as soon as i can get a little more info on this guy i'm going to contact the police, even if there is nothing they can do. at least i made a report.

usually when i'm selling something i try to meet up at the bank that is 3 mins from my house, but my nova doesn't run so i can't just drive it there.

it would be very hard for someone to get into our back yard without us knowing. someone is always home, but that is what worries me.
in this house it's me, my wife, our daughter and my mom. my mom watches our daughter at night when my wife and i go shopping and stuff.
lucky for us our neighbors all know us and always seem to keep an eye out.

again it might be nothing to worry about. i've been known to over react before, but better safe than sorry.

wife is calling him today to see if she can go look at his 65 nova. maybe we can get an address.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
He say can't come there to close to the county line. He then tells me he has an ankle bracelet on and cannot go that close to the county line.:eek:

We meet at the mall… he bought the pan :devil::D
LOL! That sounds like some of the dudes I sell stuff to on CL. :D They usually only have 1 or 2 teeth left... but hey, if you got the money... :devil:

But this post brings up a good point. I've been screening the people who respond to my CL ads - they must first e-mail me through CL with a phone number, and those who sound shady over the phone, I meet them somewhere VERY public (usually a grocery store parking lot) and bring the item with me. Cash only. That way they can't get an eye on what else I have laying around to scope it out for a late night visit. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
this is why I usually don't have anybody come to my house when I'm selling something. If they do come, I have the part sitting in the driveway or in the back of my truck with the garage closed.

I've had a couple of sketchy guys show up before and have taken down their license plate # as they left...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i've talked to the guy again, he replied back about my transmission for sale.
i don't think he's up to anything shady, just someone that acts strange.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
If you have evidence (multiple names, same phone) etc. Give it to the police. They may love to have a chance to talk to him. Also, when anyone visits for parts etc, tell them they must show valid, picture ID. And if not, whip out your camera and take a picture of the car and license plate they drove up in.

Its the unscrupulous few that can ruin your day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts