Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering converting to a serpentine belt system. My car is a '69, SBC with factory A/C and power steering. I also want to keep the costs low. One big change that I would like is to move the A/C compressor from the stock driver-side mount to the passenger side, just to help clean up the plumbing of the A/C hoses. If the alternator gets moved to the driver side, that's fine, but not required.

Two sets that I have found are from March Performance. The 22037-08 March Performance - Chevy Small Block - Long Water Pump Custom | March Performance

And the 22072-08 March Performance - Chevy Small Block - Long Water Pump Ultra | March Performance

Has anyone here used either of these systems on a 3rd Gen with factory A/C?

Any other systems that you would suggest, I would be happy to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

·
Registered
767 Posts
If there was any way possible I would go with something with a idler pulley. With most of March's kits you will need to carry their tool to adjust belt tension. I know the kits with the idler system are more money buy IMHO it is worth it. I have dealings with Vintage Air's and just helped install a Eddie Motorsport. Both are outstanding.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know GM Performance Parts sells some cheaper SBC and BBC serpentine belt kits, but I'm not sure if they'll move things the way you want.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen the GMPP unit. It's well made, but bulky and it uses the "pancake" A/C compressor, which has a bad reputation. Also, the kit is almost as pricey as some from March Performance.
Honestly, I'd prefer to get just a set of brackets, pulleys and fasteners, and choose my own water pump, alternator and A/C compressor. Thanks again.
If there was any way possible I would go with something with a idler pulley. With most of March's kits you will need to carry their tool to adjust belt tension. I know the kits with the idler system are more money buy IMHO it is worth it. I have dealings with Vintage Air's and just helped install a Eddie Motorsport. Both are outstanding.
Thanks. I know what you mean about the differences in design, but I'm also trying to keep the price down while still getting a product of decent quality. The V-A and Eddie Motorsports units are both very nice, but in the $1,800 - $2,200 range.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine is not 3rd Gen (67) but I used the March March Perf 22072. I like the looks, Alt and A/C on Psngr side and maintains standard rotation of water pump. PW steering on driver side (separate belt). Don't know if factory A/C compressor will be a problem if you have that. As I was installing Vintage system I bought the A/C compressor recommended. I will add that A/C and Alt belt has to be checked and tightened as needed, downside of not having tension pulley. But system was around $700 all in.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hi Gerry . . . . . did you look here :

High $ $ $ , tho .

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
But . . . . . then again , Look @ " Danny88 pictures " . . . . . above , ? ?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is not 3rd Gen (67) but I used the March March Perf 22072. I like the looks, Alt and A/C on Psngr side and maintains standard rotation of water pump. PW steering on driver side (separate belt). Don't know if factory A/C compressor will be a problem if you have that. As I was installing Vintage system I bought the A/C compressor recommended. I will add that A/C and Alt belt has to be checked and tightened as needed, downside of not having tension pulley. But system was around $700 all in.
I don't know how much trouble that would be. I have a stock V-belt set up now, it rarely needs adjustment.
Thanks for the insights, I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
A
Looks like quite a mess. Their water pump shaft sheared?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Yeah sheared water pump shaft made it 1 1/2 miles before cost me thous$ will say was nice serpentine which they replaced was all the other stuff it took out basically told me to pack sand on all the other stuff that got destroyed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just my 02 but I've installed more of the March kits in different configurations on big and small block Nova's than I can count. Reason being the quality and fitment has always been excellent, finish is always perfect and the price really is very reasonable all those things considered.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just my 02 but I've installed more of the March kits in different configurations on big and small block Nova's than I can count. Reason being the quality and fitment has always been excellent, finish is always perfect and the price really is very reasonable all those things considered.
I appreciate your sharing your experience with the March kits. I've always liked their stuff, but never pulled the trigger on anything. Thanks for your input,

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sad thing is I paid mor for serpentine unit than I paid for 66 SS 51 years ago
It must have been awful to have that water pump frag like that, in the car you have had for so long! I'm coming up on 20 years with my car, and I still think I overpaid for it, and it was only a few hundred bucks more than a high-end serpentine kit!
How long has your CVF kit been in the car since re-doing the installation?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a really beautiful car! I also like the way the CVF system looks on your engine. Thanks again, and post pictures of the progress on the upgrades.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts