Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the racing blood was out of my system, went cruising this weekend, and didnt really know anyone, my car isnt that fast, 13.80's if Im real lucky, and it amazed me how big of a Weenie ( cant use the word I want ) most of these guys were on the cruise.....

They were all up on some douche with a SB400 10 second Vega, Not that had to make a Vega go fast... IMHO

I dunno, used to be a REALLY fast car ran 10's , you were doing great if you ran 13's,. most of the top 10% were 11.50 to 12.50.

So now Im where I didnt wanna be, Im really pissed off , so now im debating how to get into the low 12's

So here's what I have

68 Nova
ZZ3-350 345-355 horse 0ut of the box Aluminum heads, roller cam etc....
M-20 4 Gear
12 Bolt with 373 Posi, traction bars, actually hooks pretty decent
Edelbrock carb, with the Bowtie intake ( similar to a performer )
Long headers, HEI, with the Accell Supercoil, MSD wires, Crane Roller Rockers, 1.5's

My cousin has graciously donated a BG 750 Double Pumper and I have Decided on a Victor JR Intake, that has a powerband of 3500-8000 RPM

I am considering going with a 1.6 Rocker to increase lift, but I have to check if itll cause valve piston collision.....

What do I have to do to get a weak sister crate motor, to get me into the 12's short of putting it in a boat, and going and building a 468 BBC like I want to do?
LOL

Sorry for the tone, just bummed

Steve

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought the racing blood was out of my system, went cruising this weekend, and didnt really know anyone, my car isnt that fast, 13.80's if Im real lucky, and it amazed me how big of a Weenie ( cant use the word I want ) most of these guys were on the cruise.....

They were all up on some douche with a SB400 10 second Vega, Not that had to make a Vega go fast... IMHO

I dunno, used to be a REALLY fast car ran 10's , you were doing great if you ran 13's,. most of the top 10% were 11.50 to 12.50.

So now Im where I didnt wanna be, Im really pissed off , so now im debating how to get into the low 12's

So here's what I have

68 Nova
ZZ3-350 345-355 horse 0ut of the box Aluminum heads, roller cam etc....
M-20 4 Gear
12 Bolt with 373 Posi, traction bars, actually hooks pretty decent
Edelbrock carb, with the Bowtie intake ( similar to a performer )
Long headers, HEI, with the Accell Supercoil, MSD wires, Crane Roller Rockers, 1.5's

My cousin has graciously donated a BG 750 Double Pumper and I have Decided on a Victor JR Intake, that has a powerband of 3500-8000 RPM

I am considering going with a 1.6 Rocker to increase lift, but I have to check if itll cause valve piston collision.....

What do I have to do to get a weak sister crate motor, to get me into the 12's short of putting it in a boat, and going and building a 468 BBC like I want to do?
LOL

Sorry for the tone, just bummed

Steve
Don't have a knee jerk reaction. Wait a few days and see how you feel. Save your money and keep what you got. If you do decide to jump in, remember 3 things.
1. Cubic inches are cheap horsepower.
2. Lightening the car is free ET.
3. The easiest way to make a million dollars racing, is to spend 10 million!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Give us a list of what the car has now, and we'll improve on what you have. It will be much cheaper!:yes:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yup I agree with these two also.

Not sure how well a victor JR would work on a combo like that.Of course I am a big fan edelbrock dual planes.(Performer RPM or RPM air gap)

I would think it over.You know if you catch up with that vega there's gonna be someone else faster than him to start chasing.......

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deal !

Give us a list of what the car has now, and we'll improve on what you have. It will be much cheaper!:yes:
thanx, its just not fast enough
I went and got the book on the engine

so its
9.8 compression, flat top pistons
Aluminum Heads with 1.94 intakes 1.50 exhaust
Roller Cam, lift is i-474 e-510 lobe , duration i-208 e-221 centerline 112
GM Pink Rods
4 Bolt Main
Right now, bowtie intake, edelbrock 750, powerband is 1800-5500 or so

Soon to be BG 750 and a Victor jr- Power Band from 3500 - to blow

M-20
373 Gears,

It goes ok, just lacks the brutality, course Im used to Big Blocks, this is the first small block I have ever tried to make go fast, and I stink at it LOL

Can't really afford a pro charger, NOS is an option, 468 is an option, but Id spend a year building one, So maybe the new intake, carb, and 1.6 rockers might help

Car is stone stock looking and has all the factory sheetmetal, I dont really wanna gut it to lose 2 or 3 hundred pounds, My old 70 396 Nova ran 12.50's in full trim, with a home built 396 holley 850, strip dominator, big tube headers, 3.55 gears and a turbo 400

So what do you guys think?

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I agree about the vega

Yup I agree with these two also.

Not sure how well a victor JR would work on a combo like that.Of course I am a big fan edelbrock dual planes.(Performer RPM or RPM air gap)

I would think it over.You know if you catch up with that vega there's gonna be someone else faster than him to start chasing.......
it could be an 8 second car, and its still a Vega

I have a 4 speed, so the powerband is not a problem, or are you thinking I dont have enough Cam to get the boost from the fuel increase?

S

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My L78 ran 11.20 with a 427 and 514's with an M21 in stock trim.

I would say you need better heads, those are small valves, there is a lot of performance to unleash from heads and the valve train, some of our engine guru's can give you more info then I can though.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well

I half to agree with this statment. Because in a day or two you might change your mind.
Im not gonna change my mind, the car has never been fast enough for my taste, Im just irked enough to finally do something about it

Course the 4 gears a weak spot, But its kinda nice, I put a Hayes Street Strip clutch in it, but it IS a munchie, So in the future, id have to go throuigh it im sure, 2800 dollar 5 speeds are out of my range right now......

S

·
Registered
733 Posts
No I was thinking that in order to run a cam that will work well with a victor JR intake.Your going to need more than 9.8:1 compression.If you do have a cam that matches that intake your gonna lower the compression to much.

Maybe not though.Just not a big fan of a single plane on the street.Torque is what gets these cars movin.

Take a look at novacain his car is in the low 10's with SBC on pump gas.It's just a torque monster and his chassis can handle it.

I wasn't saying anything bad about the vega.Just that no matter how fast you are there is always gonna someone faster than you.Sometimes right down the street!

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Im not gonna change my mind, the car has never been fast enough for my taste, Im just irked enough to finally do something about it

Course the 4 gears a weak spot, But its kinda nice, I put a Hayes Street Strip clutch in it, but it IS a munchie, So in the future, id have to go throuigh it im sure, 2800 dollar 5 speeds are out of my range right now......

S
that's fine and all but be warnend. If you get to fast it "MIGHT" not be as fun to drive on the street. trust me I know.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Just that no matter how fast you are there is always gonna someone faster than you.Sometimes right down the street!
Aint that the truth!:(

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea good point

that's fine and all but be warnend. If you get to fast it "MIGHT" not be as fun to drive on the street. trust me I know.
It doesnt have power steering, so its no fun now, LOL

Motors pretty tame,

Well crap, decent heads, intake, rockers, maybe diff cam, might as well look toward that 468...........

I can get a really good deal on a long block, and a deal on the machine work, I figure about 3500, but then ill need a 500 dollar flywheel, 454's are externally balanced if I recall correctly....

cant buy a turbo setup for 3500. lol

S

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your right

No I was thinking that in order to run a cam that will work well with a victor JR intake.Your going to need more than 9.8:1 compression.If you do have a cam that matches that intake your gonna lower the compression to much.

Maybe not though.Just not a big fan of a single plane on the street.Torque is what gets these cars movin.

Take a look at novacain his car is in the low 10's with SBC on pump gas.It's just a torque monster and his chassis can handle it.

I wasn't saying anything bad about the vega.Just that no matter how fast you are there is always gonna someone faster than you.Sometimes right down the street!
And I agree
Ive been a racer my whole life, just since the kiddies, the buildings taken a back seat to their needs, I can live with a middle of the road car, just somehow, I seem to be at the bottom, christ, ida given my eye teeth in 80 to have a roller small block, now LS-2 are pumping 450 Horse, and every other car has a turbo and is running 10's, I know Ill never be able to put enough money to be at the top, and your never there for long these days,, and these ricers are stupid fast, I guess ill cruise this summer, buy the new intake, at least itll pull harder from 3K to 8K, then sell the small block this winter, and build a 454, at least if it only runs 12's,, itll sound awesome, and shake the ground when I rev it up

I appreciate that you guys are here, didnt quite know who else to talk to about this stuff

S

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
A 10 second second gen isn't hard to do at all!!!:)

Take and put a 292 comp hyd in it along with that vic jr,a REAL holley 750DP,big shot plate system and you are there!!!
A set of 235's or 275 (if mini tubbed) drag radial.:devil:

GETCHA SUM!!!!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Nitrous sytem
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294839080+400047+4294871048+115&autoview=sku

Camshaft and lifters
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-CL12-213-3&autoview=sku

Intake
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-2975&autoview=sku

Carb
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294839063+400178+4294919007+115&autoview=sku

And you will need a set of calvert rear springs,cal tracs,hooker supercomp headers and the little associated hardware such as a sump to install into your stock tank and a good electric pump/filter combo to complete the build.

Good luck!!!:)

This combo in the early 90's got us running 10.teens in a 65 nova with JUNK suspention,inferior nitrous system and an 8" slick.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
You've already got most of what you need in the car.

You've got enough gear, the 4 speed is fine. The short block is adequate.

I'd concentrate on the intake, carb, and exhaust. You might also consider stepping up the cam, if you are replacing the intake.

The heads are adequate to get you into the 12s.

You need sticky tires, which will put additional stress on the clutch and drivetrain, but start with what you've got.

Make a couple of passes and post your full time slips. You're probably running 2.10-2.20 60 foot times and that is one of the things you will need to correct. Set a target of at least a 1.90 60 foot time and 105 MPH in the quarter.

What is your current MPH?

What does you car weigh?

By the way, a Victor Junior is not the right intake for your setup, go with a RPM Air Gap and the 750 DP, unless you plan to do a complete top end kit.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'd go with a Performer RPM instead of the Victor Jr., a hyd. roller cam around 228-230°@.050(it would still work with the low comp.) Or mill the heads for a bit more compression and go a little longer on duration, definitely lose the Edelbrock carb. It should run 12's without too much work.

You already have roller lifters, don't go backwards to a flat tappet hydraulic cam like some of the guys are recommending.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'd go with a Performer RPM instead of the Victor Jr., a hyd. roller cam around 228-230°@.050(it would still work with the low comp.) Or mill the heads for a bit more compression and go a little longer on duration, definitely lose the Edelbrock carb. It should run 12's without too much work.

You already have roller lifters, don't go backwards to a flat tappet hydraulic cam like some of the guys are recommending.
Agreed 100%. You should be able to reuse the lifters as long as they are in good shape. So you are really only looking at a cam and valve springs and you wont have to go through the break in process. Loose the eddy and go with a 650 double pumper and edlebrock rpm air gap intake. Then make a few runs and see what it will do. I always like to make one or two changes at a time so I dont end up going backwards.

-Dan

1 - 20 of 128 Posts