Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting my 1972 nova front end to "sit" down to be level with the top of the tire. i have a buddy who had a nova and his looked great and sat nice and low, sitting right at about an inch of tire being covered and the front and back. i have mine sat down in the back but the front wont go down anymore. It sits about 3-4 inches higher than the tire and i have tried replacing the small block coil springs (I have a sbc 350 in it now) and getting new "lowering shocks" and nothing is working. i need some help this is bugging me not having it sit the way it should. any help would be nice and i cannot get lowering spindles unless anyone knows where to find them for a drum set up.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
What are lowering shocks? you can always cut the coil springs or buy some springs from CCP that will lower your stance.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Changing the shocks will NOT change ride height.

If you want to drop 2" or more I would strongly recomend you install drop spindles. This will allow you to get the car down without screwing up the suspension geometry.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you have a local Napa store go get a set of frt coils for a Nova with a 6 cyl w/o air conditioning. That should put you right where you want to be without altering your ride quality. Hope this helps you :yes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are lowering shocks? you can always cut the coil springs or buy some springs from CCP that will lower your stance.
i have no idea but somebody who i guess didnt know what they were doing sold them to me at napa, i did return them after i noticed they didnt work

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I am having trouble getting my 1972 nova front end to "sit" down to be level with the top of the tire. i have a buddy who had a nova and his looked great and sat nice and low, sitting right at about an inch of tire being covered and the front and back. i have mine sat down in the back but the front wont go down anymore. It sits about 3-4 inches higher than the tire and i have tried replacing the small block coil springs (I have a sbc 350 in it now) and getting new "lowering shocks" and nothing is working. i need some help this is bugging me not having it sit the way it should. any help would be nice and i cannot get lowering spindles unless anyone knows where to find them for a drum set up.
Have you asked your buddy what he did to get it to sit like that? You may want to find out and do the same if you like the look he has.

John

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
how much do you want to spend?
do you want it done right?

cheapest way would be to cut coils from the coil springs-I dont recommend this.
you could try 6 cylinder springs.
If you did buy new springs they will probably settle some but likely not enough.
best way would be drop spindles and an adjustable coil like qa1's. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
This thread title is funny...

I read "Serious Front Suspension Problems. HELP!" And it has an exclamation point! Geez, something must be seriously MESSED UP! So I think maybe his suspension is so tweaked that his front tires are pointing in 7 different directions or something...

Nope, just wants to lower it a bit....:):):) I just thought that was funny..:):)

Back in the day, people just heated the springs with a torch until they settled a bit... I don't recommend that tho..:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
drums

we must be the only 2 people in the world that like drum brakes! i did switch mine to disk because i could not find any 11" drum brakes to uprade to.

i put a set of heave duty springs from the parts store that were not supposed to lower the car. they were just supposed to have a stiffer spring rate. well they droped the car 2"s which i did not want. i put 1" blocks under the springs to get back to factory ride hight. with the blocks i have 1" to 2" from the top of the tire to the finder lip and tire just above the lip without the blocks under the springs. the tires are 225 60 15. this size hits the inter fender well at the back of the tire when the car is lowered on my car.

this is from auto zone:
Duralast/Coil Spring - Front
For your 1969 Chevrolet Nova 5.0L 2BL 8cyl
Price:$69.99
Part Number: FCS6320S

this sight has good info on springs:
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_spring_info.htm

the 6320 spring is 380lb. this is on the stiff side for pasanger cars but is by no means harsh. it will corner better and mine does. i also did the Guldstrand mod and she will hang a corner and rides better than or 2003 ford explorer.

all this being said, lowering the car will not help the handling and screws with the geomitry weather you do it with springs or spindles.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
This thread title is funny...

I read "Serious Front Suspension Problems. HELP!" And it has an exclamation point! Geez, something must be seriously MESSED UP! So I think maybe his suspension is so tweaked that his front tires are pointing in 7 different directions or something...

Nope, just wants to lower it a bit....:)

RIGHT!! Where does the drama come from!!! At this point Im thinking the Boy that cried WOLF!!!

Its NOT a suspension issue. Its a "i have a buddy who had a nova and his looked great and sat nice and low" issue.

Big diff Mr.. Not the "HELP!" post you created.

You dont have ANY immediate issues going on right now.

So you want to sink the body over the frame. Not difficult. There are several means to the end, some better than others.

Yep, you can cut or even relax the front springs with a gas torch. If cutting them I recommend a cut off wheel VS a torch, less heat and springs are heat sensitive being high carbon steel.

Drop spindles, yes! Thats a better approach.

There are so many ways to get to the look you want.

Go simple or go large, its all good. It has to be fun though... IMO there is NO proper way that suits everyone. Ive been on the working side of a torch while lowering a friends car. Why?? Because we had to do it on the cheap, and we had loads of fun playing with cars. That was 30 years ago and Im still having fun... JR

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
Dropped spindles :thumbsup:
Best way, & the safest! :yes:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
most problematic situations with "Lowering Springs" i've encountered is the spring rate... the rate is so high that the car is extremely stiff.

here are some comparison images for a 62-67 car. not the same as a 3rd genner, just for comparison.

stock spring to reproduction spring

lowered spring to replacement spring

here's the upper spring cup on the replacement spring, fits flush as it's supposed to.

and here's the same spring cup on the lowered spring... it doesn't fit.

best bet in my opinion is to use a drop spindle :yes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
he left

looks like yall ran this guy off. he just wanted a little help and got it but after yall jumped all in his crap. if you see some one is new maybe try a nice private meassage on how you should post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts