Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up my 67 SS. I think I put a 1st series dog house on the car, It came with it because the 67 one was pretty rusty. I hope I didn't mess up, what would the difference be??

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
If you are referring to the front clip, then yes they are different enough to be a problem. The fender bolts on a 1st gen 62-65 are vertical and the 66-67 horizontal. Also, the core support is a little bit different as well. It might be possible to adapt them together but I have never had a 2nd gen.

·
14,135 Posts
Not sure if you're referring to the 1st series in the 2nd generation Chevy II, which would be a '66 or 1st series meaning 62-64. A picture of what you've got would answer the question.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
There is a indent in the 67 dog house that would help with power brakes if you added them.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Super Moderator
4,099 Posts
If I think about it, they're different every year. Some of the differences are slight, but each year is by itself '62-'67. If by doghouse you aren't including the core support, then they are more the same than different, but core supports are different each year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm talking 1st series 62-65 and 2nd series 66-67. the car is all together except the grill and headlight & bumper. I think I may have the early series on my 67. I can't hardly get the fender back against the rockers and the grill support that slips between the fender and the dog house that holds the grill on each side is an to high. I hope I can make **** work. Thanks Terry

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm talking 1st series 62-65 and 2nd series 66-67. the car is all together except the grill and headlight & bumper. I think I may have the early series on my 67. I can't hardly get the fender back against the rockers and the grill support that slips between the fender and the dog house that holds the grill on each side is an to high. I hope I can make **** work. Thanks Terry

·
Super Moderator
4,099 Posts
I see. I have never tried it, so I don't know if '66-7 fenders, grille, headlight bezels and front parts will go on any of the first generation core supports. By core support, I mean the stamped steel thing that the radiator bolts to, and holds the voltage regulator, and the hood latch. Each one of those core supports is different year to year. Maybe another member can weigh in on what they have made to fit. Other than that, you might be able to change just the core support in the front to a '67.

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
744 Posts
second gen fenders will NOT bolt up to first gen front clip

Reactions: Bob's 65 Post

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
The fender mounting bolts are the big difference. I was just flat lucky when I bought a clip for my ‘66 because I did not know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My fender bolts line up fine, I'm having problems with the grill supports being 1/2" to high and the fender bottoms were really hard to get back to the rockers. Would the 62-65 dog house be a 1/2" or so longer? If anyone knows the exact difference I would love to hear about it. thanks Terry

·
14,135 Posts
My hat is off to you for tackling this project. In all my years with Chevy IIs, I've never heard of anyone grafting a 1st generation dog house to a 2nd generation car. Please post a picture of how it looks to date. I'm sure there are many members here who are just as interested as I am. Much success with your project.

Bob

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
When you installed the dog house to the body, did you place the shims at the upper mounting points..? These will effect how the fender will mount and line up.. A couple of shims at the firewall mounts can lower the front of the dog house significantly..
C30D1336-0B0C-4447-963D-20037B0AEED1.jpeg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do have the correct dog house and core support. I looked a every different one on the internet and mine is right. Trying to get the shims right now., need to get the fender bottoms back to the rockers. I guess I need to add shims to tip em back. Lots of trial and error here. Terry

·
Registered
800 Posts
I do have the correct dog house and core support. I looked a every different one on the internet and mine is right. Trying to get the shims right now., need to get the fender bottoms back to the rockers. I guess I need to add shims to tip em back. Lots of trial and error here. Terry
have heard that section referenced as front clip. doghouse, never heard that term before. is the engine the dog? hey, learn something every day, thankfully!

if your fenders bolted up, you certainly have the correct 1st gen aprons/ skirts. 2nd gen are side-mounting, so that is a sure sign.

the GM spec was pretty wide according to my manual, .12 - .22" (roughly 1/8" - 1/4").

mine are not very tight down there, either, but within spec. exactly how off are you?

good luck with the project.

-Rusty

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got it close now, I added a shim on each side to tip the top and bring the fender bottoms closer to the rockers. Just a lot trial and error work... Thanks Terry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts