Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 Nova. I believe the sending unit is a 0-30 ohm. I need to switch to a fuel cell. The only fuel cells that fit my needs come with 0-90 sending units. The manufacturers will not swap in 0-30 units. I would like to use my original fuel guage. Is there a way to run an inline 60 ohm resistor..is there such a thing? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Sh1fter said:
I have a 63 Nova. I believe the sending unit is a 0-30 ohm. I need to switch to a fuel cell. The only fuel cells that fit my needs come with 0-90 sending units. The manufacturers will not swap in 0-30 units. I would like to use my original fuel guage. Is there a way to run an inline 60 ohm resistor..is there such a thing? Thanks.
Well firstly Welcome to the site:)

This issue has been discussed often on this site and I really dont believe there is an easy solution. The problem with adding the 60ohm resister inline (in series) with the sending unit is that now the resistance of the circuit is 60-150 ohms...as the total resistance of a series circuit is the product of all resistance in the circuit. (I am sure this is how it works BUT it has been a few years since I last had to use Ohms Law) So in this case the lowest resitance the circuit would see (when the tank was empty) would be 60 ohms...and the highest it would see (when the tank is full) would be 150 ohms...so as you see this is going in the wrong direction...

Now you could try adding a resistor(not the 60 ohm one I suspect it would be smaller than that...possibly in the area of 45 ohms) in a parallel circuit and this would somewhat work...so that when the tank was full the guage would only see 30 ohms...the problem would be with anything BUT a full tank...I dont believe that it would ever display empty correctly for you...your car would be sucking fumes yet your guage would still say you had gas....

Two other solutions I can think of are having the guage re-calabrated to work with a 0-90 ohm sending unit...likely $$$ if it can be done.....or having the sending unit itself re-calabrated to work with a 0-30 ohm sending unit....again likely $$$ if it can be done...

I guess the easiest solution for people in this situation is to use either an original style tank and sending unit OR to use an aftermarket fuel guage designed to work with a 0-90 ohm sending unit...I'm sure others will chim in with information but I believe this is the outcome that others have found...

Again...welcome to the site....:)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Custom Jim said:
You could remove what sending unit is in there and replace it with one of these:

https://www.classicinstruments.com/productother.aspx?ProductCode=SN36

It fits tank depths from 6" to 24".

Jim
Custom Jim;

Would that work correctly in a fuel cell...normally they use floats that are more like bobbers they go straight up and down they dont pivot on an arm like that....i think this has something to do with the foam a lot of fuel cells have in them...:confused:

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
69NovaSS said:
Custom Jim;

Would that work correctly in a fuel cell...normmaly they use floats that are more like bobbers they go straight up and down they dont pivot on an arm like that....i think this has something to do with the foam a lot of fuel cells have in them...:confused:
My new fuel cell has a sending unit in it and I think the float is hidden inside a vertical plastic tube, otherwise, the foam would keep it from doing its job.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
My new fuel cell has a sending unit in it and I think the float is hidden inside a vertical plastic tube, otherwise, the foam would keep it from doing its job.

Thats whats I thought...I had a feeling the foam would be a problem for a pivoit style float...:)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I went through all this stuff last year.....use what Drive just showed you,it's a 90 ohm sender for the cell,now go buy a nice fuel gauge to match....my problems are over,yours will be too. I also wanted to use my original guage but some things can't be helped! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everybody for the help.

I guess I can mount the tach in front of the fuel guage now.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I am not familiar with 1st gen dashes but I'll throw this out anyway. In 65 GM switched to the 0 - 90 ohm sender and gauge across most of its car lines. So if a 65 gauge is the right ohms and will fit your problem can be solved. Any 65 owners out there that can help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
fuel level sending unit

hi i am new to this site and have a few questions first i have a 1977 nova concours i have been working on for some time how can i figure out the ohm resistance on the fuel level sender to install a new aftermarket gauge?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I am not familiar with 1st gen dashes but I'll throw this out anyway. In 65 GM switched to the 0 - 90 ohm sender and gauge across most of its car lines. So if a 65 gauge is the right ohms and will fit your problem can be solved. Any 65 owners out there that can help?
I am pretty sure all the 65 gas gauges are 0-90 ohm but was told by another member here that that was not true. I still think it is but am not going to take mine out just to see.

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
Since the original post in April 2006, the sending unit resistance went from 30 ohm to 90 ohm. This is due to "ohm inflation".:rolleyes:

On a more serious level, the sending unit was 30 ohm in 1965, and changed to 90 ohm in 1966. I don't know 4th gen Novas at all, so right off the top of my head I'm not sure. My guess would be 90 ohm.... I can look it up if you want.

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it meets even more "resistance" will congress vote to change it back to 30 Ohms....... ????
They would change it so the tank always shows FULL. That's how they budget everything right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
30 ohms

To jump in here right at the end of this Loooooog thread...a 1964 Nova fuel gauge is 30 ohms, correct?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts