Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, got my new bumper from Goodmark today & it is beautiful EXCEPT for a 1 1/2" x 1/8" scratch that goes almost down to bare metal. Bummer... I called Summit & there sending another one out. I'll give it one more shot at getting a good one. I ordered the one that is stamped overseas but chromed in the USA. I live by the beach & I'm afraid it would rust in no time at all... I'm no chrome expert but it looks like it was damaged after chroming or not? Bill

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,060 Posts
Bummer. At least summit is good about trying to make it right. I have used some of the re pop bumpers and they do ok. Just keep a good coat of wax on them.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's post chrome it appears. Summit has a excellent return policy. In fact yesterday I used my Phoenix reverse bleeder for the first time and couldn't get it to prime, per the Phoenix video I disassembled the plunger to lubricate and the felt was tore. One call to Summit and Monday morning I'll have a new one on the way and 30 days to return the old one. I bought it last September.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Stuff like that will happen and as said, Summit seems to always makes it right.
I might be needing a new front for my '72 and its good to know Goodmark's chrome is good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stuff like that will happen and as said, Summit seems to always makes it right.
I might be needing a new front for my '72 and its good to know Goodmark's chrome is good.
Goodmark has two different REAR bumpers available for the '68 to '72 Nova's. One is stamped & chromed overseas. The other is stamped & chromed in the USA. I got the one that's chromed in the USA. They call it their 'Premium Quality' bumper & it's more expensive... The Goodmark FRONT bumper for the '70 to '72 Nova's is not offered in 'Premium Quality'.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have one of those things that measures the thickness of steel. The rear bumper that's on my car now is 15 gauge. The rear bumper I got from Goodmark is 13 gauge. So the Goodmark rear bumper is thicker than the one on my car now. Which means the rear bumper that's on my car now is NOT a factory bumper! I wonder how many folks have paid big money to re-chromed bumpers that AREN'T factory bumpers??? I almost did it! Although I think my front bumper is a factory one...

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2nd times a charm! Just got my replacement bumper from Goodmark & it's beautiful! Although I'm no chrome expert what I do know is I could hang this bumper up on my bathroom wall & use it as a mirror! And, as we already know Summit's return policy shines through again! Called 'em last Sunday to ask for a replacement & got it today! So bottom line is I highly recommend Goodmark bumpers! Just remember not all of their bumpers are available with the USA chrome on them! Bill

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you use a shop that batches parts and sends to Mexico for chroming, (common in Ca.) you run the chance the bumper you get back is not yours, perhaps thinner.
However, a lighter weight bumper is not a problem for me. Let's face it, these cars are deathtraps. A little thicker bumper won't save you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you use a shop that batches parts and sends to Mexico for chroming, (common in Ca.) you run the chance the bumper you get back is not yours, perhaps thinner.
However, a lighter weight bumper is not a problem for me. Let's face it, these cars are deathtraps. A little thicker bumper won't save you.
Hmm, never even though of that! Not getting back your own bumper! Oh, I'm not worried about the lighter weight for safety reasons. In fact, something I'm considering in the future is painting my car a dark maroon & powder coating all my chrome black. And I was thinking it'd be cool to just get fiberglass race bumpers that are painted black to save weight. I'll all about saving weight! Every 100 pounds off is = to 10 HP! I'll never forget that Hot Rod magazine article where they took a 6000+/- pound 1970 Caddy with the 500 Cu In motor & just started cutting stuff off! Took something like 4-5 sec off of the ET just by putting it on a diet...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts