Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am in the process of parting out a 66 Corvair monza. Can you sell the tittle, vin number plate and plate that gives data like color model and such? Is there a way you can post it for sale on ebay and not get into any trouble?

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
It's illegal in most states, and, in my opinion, dishonest. If you are parting the car out, it no longer exists as a registerable vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Danno, that is all I needed to know.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Leave the plate attached to the body and let the buyer get in trouble for it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
DANNO said:
It's illegal in most states, and, in my opinion, dishonest. If you are parting the car out, it no longer exists as a registerable vehicle.
It's all about ethics. Sell the whole car.

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
the Flyer said:
i'd think if the plate's attached to the body... it's still a car and rebuildable...
I meant to imply after all had been removed including the ID plates. Yeah, if the plates are still attached, it's still restorable, though it may take a whole pile of parts and money to do it.:D

Dan (maybe replace everything around the tags?):D :D

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DANNO said:
I meant to imply after all had been removed including the ID plates. Yeah, if the plates are still attached, it's still restorable, though it may take a whole pile of parts and money to do it.:D

Dan (maybe replace everything around the tags?):D :D
Well on a corvair, the vin and the data tag are on the engine support weldment located rear of engine. If I just cut that part out of the car as a unit, I could say 66 corvair monza, Needs restored, clear title and just send that piece of body panel.:) What ya think 2K reserve:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
vaporloc said:
Well on a corvair, the vin and the data tag are on the engine support weldment located rear of engine. If I just cut that part out of the car as a unit, I could say 66 corvair monza, Needs restored, clear title and just send that piece of body panel.:) What ya think 2K reserve:rolleyes:

Naw, that would be like cutting the A pillar from a 1st gen and calling it a car. If you need to cut it out, then you shouldn't be selling it. IMO it needs to remain with the car. (To sell it that is). I have the tags and titles from a few 1st gens hanging in my shop. Kinda a personal collection is all. Never plan to sell any of them. All the bodies have been cubed.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Joe said:
Nightshade,
Is it legal for your to have the Vins and Title's to those Salvaged Cars?
Joe
That I don't know. It's no secret that I have them and they are not for sale in any way shape or form. So if someone wants to try and make a point then more power to them.

As far as I see it, the cars were my property to do with as I wish. The tags are not going to be used (so I say, I guess) to make a stolen car (un-stolen) or to make a salvaged car whole. So I would say NO they are not illegal. But then again, who out there know who I am anyway!!!!:D

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
vaporloc said:
If I just cut that part out of the car as a unit, I could say 66 corvair monza, Needs restored, clear title and just send that piece of body panel.:) What ya think 2K reserve:rolleyes:
Hey, I've seen a lot worse on eBay!:D

Dan (Johnny might bid on it);)

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
NIGHTSHADE said:
I have the tags and titles from a few 1st gens hanging in my shop. Kinda a personal collection is all.
Hmmmm. Think I'll call the authorities and tell them you are hiding several unregistered cars in your garage.:p

Dan (or inoperable cars):D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i think i still have 2 or 3 cowl tags from 55's i scrapped years ago... just hanging on a peg :D

they ain't goin' anywhere...

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
DANNO said:
Hmmmm. Think I'll call the authorities and tell them you are hiding several unregistered cars in your garage.:p

Dan (or inoperable cars):D
Hey Jeff, answer the door, somebody wants to have a chat with you!!!:D

Randy (No officer, I don't know who this DAN character is.):confused: :D

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
i don't see how you can stop this? how many people buy 2 or more cars to make one good one? if you had a tag with a rare option,wouldn't you use it? its done more often than you think and its easier on older cars because there is no record of vins going back to trace them.some junk yards try to sell rare cars that are to rusted to restore but get big money just for the the tags.look at the hemi ,yenko,copo etc.cars and they start at over 10g's for junkers.here's a good example on ebay.turn your old 6 banger or ss chevelle into a rare l79 money maker.tags and all.who's going to know???http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-Chevelle-327-350HP-L79-Engine-12-Bolt-3043-Holley_W0QQitemZ4629930767QQcategoryZ34202QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Well you might get away with that in the USA but since GM Canada actually does have records for the cars sold new there or built there its a little harder to fake a car there....and it doesnt matter if its done all the time its still unethical and only someone that likes to screw other people would do so....cause that is what you are doing if you take a plane jane car and put a cowl tag or VIN tag off of a highly desirable car on it and then pass it off as real...your screwing someone...:(

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I've seen this debate rage on for a while now. Years back (80s) I saw a lot of rebodys done on rare cars. The point was, Before these cars were bringing heavy money, the emphasis was on having the best restoration possible. Most wanted a pristine body over having the original that was hacked/patched/rusted, or fixed (and I had the same people tell me my pristine 70 nova SS 396/375 HP original motor/trans/rear/paint/glass car with 39K on it was only worth the sum of it's part because I had no paper work to prove it, other than talking to past owners). And that took precedent (for them) over having as much of the original car as they could. I'm not advocating this stance, but this happened ALOT more than you think. I can think of 1 L-79 Nova, 1 COPO Camaro, 2 COPO Chevelles, at least two ZL-1 camaros (That just the tags were bought) and 1 Z-16 just off the top of my head that were body replacements. And this was just as they were finding the hidden VINs on the 68 and up's so I imagine the COPO stuff somebody took a hit on.

I have a friend that had a sister 375 Nova to mine. He rolled it over in the late 70s and the body was destroyed. He still has the undecked original block, rear end, numbers,most of the parts, all the paperwork, ect. Should he toss the paperwork, and sell the block so somebody else can deck, rebroach, and restamp it, ect? And another who was the original owner of a 67 Chevelle 396/375HP car. He found it in the 80s, bought it back (it had no rust, but was cut up for racing) I think he spent 25K in 1980 money just putting the entire floor from rocker to rocker, Top of firewall to tail lights in from a rustfree donor car and having it straightened and painted (you'd never know, it looks that good) then collected the rest of the parts (the car was stripped). How much of either of these cars carry their original parts? where do you draw the line? And I'm not talking about selling them as anything different than what they are. I know if your buying, and paying top dollar you want to know exactly what your getting, but do you not call it a real SS because the numbers say so, but you replaced the body, or is it really not a 375 HP because there isn't one thing from the original car on the motor, but the papers says so? Interesting argument, Huh??

That being said I still have the numbers and titles from and 350/396 Nova SS, a 69 396 Chevelle SS, 66 Nova SS, and others including a 55 (the VINs fell of a lot). These were cars that were a considered to be junk in the 80s (condition-wise). Why'd I save them? Like most others I threw them in an old cigar box in my garage because it was something to look at down the road. I've had offers to sell a few of them, but never did because I didn't want the hassle down the road of somebody trying to pass them off as something they wern't. But with the prices of these cars now I can imagine somebody having the parts looking for numbers. Hell, I never thought I see the so-called "Clone" market take off like it has. With the price of parts nowadays,, I was thinking of buying a 66 SS Nova clone to cut up figuring it'd be an easy way to get trim and parts to sell off......

1 - 20 of 57 Posts