Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended last year with a best of [email protected] This winter's changes, Transmission rebuilt and new RHS Vortec HP heads. Things to be done as the season progressses, Cal-Tracs, Vortec RPM Air gap, 1.6 Roller rockers, Weld Drag lites, Exhaust tuning, and a few more things I can't think of right now. Goal is 11's on motor, but I will break out the NOS if necesary.;)

Got in two runs last night, the track was crazy crowded. I arrived at 7:30 and didn't get my first run in until after 10:30. No time for any sort of tuning and it looks like I have a traction problem now. Best run.

60 - 2.014
1/8 - 8.26
MPH - 84.80
1/4 - 12.92
MPH 105.09

I think she has 12.5's @ 106+ in her with a little tuning and fixing the traction issue.

The car/driver also weighed 100lbs more yesterday than the end of last year.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Right on Chris, You picked up 2 mph!! Shows the motor making more ponies.
Definatly some tuning and you'll have some great times.
I drove by PIR last night headed south,and saw the nightmare trying to get in. I could only imagine how crowded it was. I wanted to go watch but I was headed out to go fix an Albertson's.
Brandon

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DriveWFO said:
Freakin rain yesterday cancelled racing today, even though it's sunny out today :rolleyes:

Chris, were your old heads ported at all? Your short times are killin ya!!!
That really sucks!:(

Old heads (041's) were bone stock. I have some work still though to make the most of these heads. I was only running about 34* total advance to start and it liked 38* to 40* last year. No time for any adjustments last night. Also the dominator manifold doesn't match up to the vortec's ports very well, so there should be some more there when I switch intakes. I'm making more torque on the lower end also cause the car pitched sideways off the line, I had to get off it and back on to straighten it out.:)

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Repointer said:
also cause the car pitched sideways off the line, I had to get off it and back on to straighten it out.:)
Every time I had to get out of it for one reason or another, it was the difference between a mid 12 and a low 13.
I think that's where your E.T. went.
Brandon

·
Registered
178 Posts
Repointer said:
I ended last year with a best of [email protected]
I'd guess the MPH might have come from the new trans? Saw you out last Saturday, I only stayed for a bit, man it was definitely packed out there. I think I might go to Woodburn when its time to go racing...better traction and likely more passes.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DEL said:
I'd guess the MPH might have come from the new trans? Saw you out last Saturday, I only stayed for a bit, man it was definitely packed out there. I think I might go to Woodburn when its time to go racing...better traction and likely more passes.
I wonder? The tranny doesn't seem to have any more of a solid shift from 1-2 and it still flashes to 4100 RPM's?? I didn't notice yet if the hesitation on the 2-3 shift is completely gone. I still need a few more times out before checking into it more.

I'll have to try Woodburn this year. Haven't raced there since the High School drags.:)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cal-Tracs Installed. Now I have to learn how to dial them in. 5 runs and all spinning out of the hole. If I can just match my 60' from last year I will hit the 12.4's. The last was the best.

60' - 1.994
1/4 - 12.806
MPH - 106.08

I tried these settings in order, the bottom hole 1 full turn, 1/2 turn, 1 1/2 turns, then switched to the top 1/2 turn and 1/4 turn. I had someone my weight sitting in the car, but it was dark and hard to accurately count the turns.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Repointer said:
Cal-Tracs Installed. Now I have to learn how to dial them in. 5 runs and all spinning out of the hole. If I can just match my 60' from last year I will hit the 12.4's. The last was the best.

60' - 1.994
1/4 - 12.806
MPH - 106.08

I tried these settings in order, the bottom hole 1 full turn, 1/2 turn, 1 1/2 turns, then switched to the top 1/2 turn and 1/4 turn. I had someone my weight sitting in the car, but it was dark and hard to accurately count the turns.
What are you running for front suspension? Your're gonna be going quicker once those 60s come down :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DriveWFO said:
What are you running for front suspension? Your're gonna be going quicker once those 60s come down :)
Stock springs and sway bar. I have CE drag shocks set at 80/20 front and 50/50 back. I was thinking of trying 90/10 - 60/40. I was also reading some of the guys are trying 0 preload on the drivers side with a 1/4 or so on passenger and calvert says to make adjustments in 1/16 turn increments. It's kinda hard to tell exactly when they start to preload. I was using a credit card to slide under the bolt to feel when it was contacting the spring.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Repointer said:
Stock springs and sway bar. I have CE drag shocks set at 80/20 front and 50/50 back. I was thinking of trying 90/10 - 60/40. I was also reading some of the guys are trying 0 preload on the drivers side with a 1/4 or so on passenger and calvert says to make adjustments in 1/16 turn increments. It's kinda hard to tell exactly when they start to preload. I was using a credit card to slide under the bolt to feel when it was contacting the spring.
Ditch the sway bar and get some Trick springs. Unless the car wasn't leaving straight, adjusting the Caltracs unevenly wouldn't have any benefit.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
My question would be what tire are you running? All the suspension tuning in the world won't get a bad tire choice to work. Is it a street tire? Sticky street tire? Radial? Slick?.................

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
bowtie0069 said:
My question would be what tire are you running? All the suspension tuning in the world won't get a bad tire choice to work. Is it a street tire? Sticky street tire? Radial? Slick?.................
M/T ET Streets, 235/60/15. Launching at 4100 RPMS off idle. Last season I was pulling 1.69 to 1.75 60's with those tires and old slapper bars. This winter I had the trans rebuilt and added some new heads. Couldn't hook the first time out this year (more torque I figured) and that's when I put on the Cal Tracs. Last night was the first time with them.:)

Some of the guys that were out there were saying the track conditions weren't very good.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Repointer said:
Some of the guys that were out there were saying the track conditions weren't very good.
I'm convinced the track was weak. The cold weather doesn't help either, but I saw a lot of cars there that I'm familiar with, and none of them were hooking up.

I definitely agree that you should ditch the swaybar, it's a "free" upgrade :) and it will help.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1ARUNEM said:
Same tires from last year? They could be dead...
I thought about that. They have about 65 or so passes on them plus street time to and from. Aren't down to the wear indicators yet, but are starting to get close.

My 60's weren't dropping at the end of last year though, staying real consistant in the 1.70-1.75 range right down to the last night. Maybe sitting in my garage this winter affected them?

·
Registered
801 Posts
We use that same stuff on Auto-X tires after they've been sitting over the winter. Soft tires like to get hard with time.

It works well, but wont make 'em new, just make 'em a little bit better for a few runs though.

It does work though!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the video uploaded properly, camera man needs work.:rolleyes: I hope to get a better one tomorrow.

Last week tried the 1.6 rockers and had no gain. Gonna try running them just on the intake side. Also the plugs were too cold, going one step hotter. I'd like to see 107MPH. Also gonna buy new tires after this outing, so might take a break for a few weeks and let the finances catch back up.

http://media.putfile.com/Launch-42

1 - 20 of 271 Posts