1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don’t waste your time and money, that won’t stay in place. Go to Ames Performance Engineering and get a set for 66-67 gto. It’s preformed to fit the curves. It’s a lot more money but it works!

·
13,693 Posts
Just for info, and to be totally correct, there was no chrome trim around the 1966 bucket seat bottom, just the seat back. See pic below.

I agree with Nashcar. Most of the stuff they sell as chrome seat trim is nothing like the original and is usually not much more than chrome door edging.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bob thanks. i guess i'll take a look at that ames place that nash suggested. i may have to spray the seat trim black before i install.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I used the classic industries piping on my seats. And yes it is chrome all the way around, but I liked the way it looked so it didn't bother me. It didn't fit as well as the original stuff but I got it all on there. I haven't used the seats yet so I can't comment on if it stays on or not. If it starts coming off all the time I may try the GTO stuff from AMES as suggested above.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks JD.... at lest i know it will work. an the chrome top an bottom doesn't look bad at all.

·
13,693 Posts
Yes, lots of cars have chrome trim around the seat bottom. Before I knew what was correct, I put it on my L79 SS...and left it on. The car was in numerous concours shows judged by Chevy gurus, but nobody picked it up. One judging form noted I lost points for 'seat trim'. I thought my seat bottom chrome trim had finally been noticed. Turned out one of the end cap bullets had disappeared off the passenger side back rest trim.

Bob

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i do have a set of 8 bullet end caps from CI. i haven't figured out how they install yet. its just the small stuff on a car that will keep you busy.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I found a punch/drift that was the same size as I needed and used it as a form. I then took a piece of rubber over a block of steel under it to use as an anvil. Then I just started forming them with a rubber mallet into a round shape. First one took awhile then the rest went real fast! Once you figure out how tight to squeeze them down its easy.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Yes, lots of cars have chrome trim around the seat bottom. Before I knew what was correct, I put it on my L79 SS...and left it on. The car was in numerous concours shows judged by Chevy gurus, but nobody picked it up. One judging form noted I lost points for 'seat trim'. I thought my seat bottom chrome trim had finally been noticed. Turned out one of the end cap bullets had disappeared off the passenger side back rest trim.

Bob
I kept my black trim that was still in decent shape, in case I change my mind someday. But seriously, nobody but a few folks here on Steves will ever know the difference!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you know that's a better idea. just leave the black trim on as its perfect. an i'll just change out the seat back trim. an install the chrome bullets. now you got me thinking seat trim is black but are the bullets black or chrome ?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
you know that's a better idea. just leave the black trim on as its perfect. an i'll just change out the seat back trim. an install the chrome bullets. now you got me thinking seat trim is black but are the bullets black or chrome ?
Bullets are all chrome top and bottom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts