Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew has a new 74 Nova with bench seats and his mom wants the seat belts to have the shoulder belts as well (moms always worry about safety :rolleyes:). Does anybody have any information about what is available? Any photos or knowledge of what the original seat belt installation looked like on a 74 Nova?

Since the headliner and replacement headliners all seem to have a big hole in them for the belt mechanism, it would be nice to have the replacement fill that hole.

This is what we have, not sure how original it is. Looks like somebody didn't like the shoulder belt part and removed it.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I have sent you a PM ( Private Message ) regarding your seat belt problem....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bumping this thread, I wish you would have posted what you PM'ed him regarding seat belts as I am in the same boat, mine is a 74 and someone added the shoulder belt to the headliner/roof, do I just need to buy the 72 model belts? I need to replace both sides (mine is a 2 door)

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
74's were factory equipped with retractable shoulder belts ... it was the first year for them. The earlier year shoulder belts were non-retractable and had to be folded up and stored in clips (or a pocket in the headliner trim) when not in use.

The pics dcairns posted look like a stock 74 setup where someone removed the shoulder belt portion along with the plastic cover from the lower retractor reel.

Due to the shape of the inner roof structure, 73 & earlier shoulder belts won't bolt directly into a 74. Belts from a 75-77 Nova/X-body will bolt directly into a 74 but try to get a complete set all from the same donor car because there were a few different styles (regular and deluxe) and the latches/buckles won't always mate up if you mix/match parts. 78-79 Nova/X-body belts will work too even though they have a different buckle style and slightly different bolt location on the floor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts