Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these belts positioned correctly? Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 8.58.55 AM.png I thought the buckle end was on the inside?

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I'm not sure on a 2nd gen . . . on my 3rd gen - 69 - my "flat side" is on the outside & the 'belt buckles are in the middle' - - - Five of them in the front seat !

just 3rd gen FYI - - - jim

click on too "enlarge" . . . look at the belt on the outside .

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
on my 66 with bucket seats an console my buckles are on the inside an clips to the door side of the seat. an the back seat buckles are in the center an clips to the outside.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, they're backwards. Buckles should be in the center. I think this is the same eBay '64 SS with the driver side parking light extension on backwards, too.

Bob
Good catch Bob. I saw it on craigslist this morning. I got new seatbelts for Christmas and wanted to put them in correctly.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i saw that nova on a facebook site for nova's. its a nice looking nova though.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
To add another "tidbit" of information, the optional or dealer accessory retractors go on the buckle belt and have to be on the outside of the seat for clearance and proper operation.

·
Registered
579 Posts
did anyone else notice in the assembly manual (for '63 anyway) that the outside belt loops under the bucket seat pivot point (called "seat link arm" in the manual) and the inside ones are criss-crossed (driver's side belt comes from other side of tunnel)? this is sheet 200 section A37 under BUCKET SEATS.

any clue as to why you would criss-cross the buckles?

-Rusty

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
My guess is it had something to do with belt angle. I swear someone told me once it also prevents the belts getting "lost" behind or under the seats. The rears use a criss-cross pattern as well. I checked the dealer install instructions and they show the same thing and it states this process covers all passenger models. One of those weird details :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To add another "tidbit" of information, the optional or dealer accessory retractors go on the buckle belt and have to be on the outside of the seat for clearance and proper operation.
I would have guessed just the opposite. I thought it was to prevent the belt from falling out and being closed in the door. Thanks though. I also got those to go with my new belts.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
I thought it was to prevent the belt from falling out and being closed in the door. Thanks though. I also got those to go with my new belts.
I think that is also a function of them. Keep things tidy with the belt.

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
Those are some cool seat belts on your '63. I'm guessing an early '63 car, as those belts were also used in '62 MY cars. I purchased some aqua ones from an Impala, but I found using the long vinyl sheath became cumbersome, so I just re-webbed the buckles, latch plates and anchors. Reproduction parts are available to repair any of these belts if you find they're worn or springs have snapped. Cool vintage correct belts for the car!

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
Cris-crossing belts, in my opinion, is a very bad idea. I don't know why they thought that a good idea, as they weren't Cris-crossed on, say, a wagon or sedan. Too much extra webbing is rarely a good thing in a frontal collision, and you would be cinching the belt to snug or tight, but only relative to the tension on the other passenger's belt if there's a passenger. Again, it leads to excessive webbing in a frontal and lets the occupant travel further forward. Lap belts, I know, are their own safety risk all by themselves, but you have to remember that safety, safety belts and their installation in passenger cars was still in its nascence.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. Those are some great pictures. I ended up putting the retractors on the outside so the belts don't fall out and get shut in the door. Not what the manual says but it works for me.

·
13,694 Posts
Neat seat belt pictures. Before seat belts became standard, they were available as both a factory or dealer option. Also could be purchased in the after market. In the early cars I've seen, the factory and dealer belts weren't the same. These pics appear to show 'Custom Feature' dealer installed belts. Don't see these very often.

Bob

·
Registered
990 Posts
0520181919.jpg 0520181919a.jpg Here are the restored belts in my 62. The buckle side is in fact crisscrossed. I think the reason was the inside mounting points on the 62 are almost in the center behind each so if they weren't crossed, they would have to wrap around the seat. I've tried it both ways and it just seems to fit better when routed as instructions show. In use, i've had no issues with or without a passenger as far as the snugness of either belt. With the tall boots installed their isn't enough excess belt to use a retractor so the clip side just lays on the floor between the seat and sill plate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Neat seat belt pictures. Before seat belts became standard, they were available as both a factory or dealer option. Also could be purchased in the after market. In the early cars I've seen, the factory and dealer belts weren't the same. These pics appear to show 'Custom Feature' dealer installed belts. Don't see these very often.

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
View attachment 403590 View attachment 403591 Here are the restored belts in my 62. The buckle side is in fact crisscrossed. I think the reason was the inside mounting points on the 62 are almost in the center behind each so if they weren't crossed, they would have to wrap around the seat. I've tried it both ways and it just seems to fit better when routed as instructions show. In use, i've had no issues with or without a passenger as far as the snugness of either belt. With the tall boots installed their isn't enough excess belt to use a retractor so the clip side just lays on the floor between the seat and sill plate.
My car was special ordered by the original owner as a graduation gift from her grandparents in May of '63. The car was built 3rd week of May and sold to the owner on May 28th. The grandparents required the car to have seat belts. The front were dealer installed Chevy belts and the rears are Allstate's from Sears. I was able to find a new pair of Allstate'
s at a swap meet.

·
13,694 Posts
Dealer installed fronts and Allstate rears. Gotta love the early 60's!

Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts